cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical Volume Library not found

David_C1
Level 3

We are having an issue now. We have the backups all in the proper areas, and they're on the appliance, however, when we try to restore we get the "Physical volume library not found". Any idea as to the cause of this? I assume it is due to the fact that the disk/drive the backup is on is not found or is corrupt, but how do we fix this?

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi David,

Did exactly as you asked...

Is this a redirected restore to another location?

You try to Pause/Unpause the server under Devices.

Thanks!

Link to old discussion: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/restore-old-backups-be3600

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You can also try to Inventory and Catalog the tape B2D again so as to minimise the possiblity of Catalogs to be corrupted.

Thanks,

-Sush...

David_C1
Level 3

Hello,

We are going to move the backups for that day to another archive, add the location, inventory and category it, then try again. Copying them over is going to take a couple of hours, I will advise when it is completed.

EDIT - if this does not work I will try the pause/unpause.

David_C1
Level 3

Files copied over. Did 'inventory'. Trying to Catalog, but getting the PHYSICAL VOLUME LIBRARY NOT FOUND every time. 

Also, what exactly does Pausing/Unpausing the server accomplish?

CraigV

David: Honestly I don't know, but I have seen it fix a number of issues...what it does is a mystery to me.

David_C1
Level 3

See, I told my boss about it, but it seems he wants to know more about what it does.

How would I go about pausing/unpausing? Go to devices and right click which? 

CraigV

...it basically just stops anything the server does without stopping the services. Kind of puts things on hold.

Under Devices, right-click the server name & choose Pause...do the same for Unpause!

David_C1
Level 3

More or less its like a quick reboot if changes needed to be made. I will let my boss know and maybe he will do it.

CraigV

Pretty much, yes. It doesn't stop the services, it just stops whatever BE is doing and places it on hold for as long as it takes you to Unpause the server.

David_C1
Level 3

Well, our backups usually occur after midnight, so it shouldn't be doing anything. Thanks Craig, I will let you know if it works.