cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Insert media '******' into the robotic Library...

rex007can
Level 2
For the past few months, every time I run a full backup, when it comes time to verify I get an warning asking me to insert the media used to backup the data with an import job.

The thing is, the media is INSIDE THE LIBRARY ALREADY!!!! But BE shows it as being a blank tape. I look into the media resource list, and the tape is duplicated, and the new tape with the same lable is shown as blank.
So I move the "blank" tape to retired, then I delete it from the database.
I can then go back to the online library, and the slot will now show as the right tape, the one the was written the night before.
I respond OK to the warning.

Bam... BE recreates the Blank tape in it's database and requests the tape again.

Why in hell does BE not recognize the tapes it just used the night before that weren't removed from the library???

And how can I force it to recognize it's own tapes so that I can finally get it to complete a full backup successfully????

6 REPLIES 6

rex007can
Level 2
One more detail. The stupidest thing is. If I CANCEL the backup job, and run an inventory... it recognizes the tape properly...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi rex,

Have you tried to do a database repair through BEutility?

rex007can
Level 2
No I haven't.
Why would I want to do that?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Because the BE database might be damaged.

beaner1111
Level 2
No WAYY!!!!!

Sigh.

Can someone explain, how a damaged database might cause this kind of behaviour? Specifically?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Damaged database = damaged tables somewhere in that DB. Could be from a failed patch installation, failed database maintenance job, or just poor coding.
It can also happen when adding a server into CASO for example that goes horribly wrong. Been on the receiving end of that a couple of times, so I speak from experience.
So there are many ways...running the DB repair in BEutility.exe allows the utility to check what's going on, and if necessary, make the necessary changes to the DB to get it working correctly again.