cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Backup Devices

jrobertson422
Level 2

Backups were working just fine until this week, now I get the following problems

All Backup Jobs show a status of "Ready; No Media Servers are available"

If I go to the devices tab, I can see both tape libraries that I have. If I disable and re-enable them, no help. reboot of server does not fix.

If I try to stop all backup exec services, I get the following. They can all stop OK, but he "Backup Exec Device & Media Service" will not stop. It says the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. I have never had problems restarting services in the past. At this point that service just shows a status of "stopping" and I can not do anything outside of reboot the server.

I have 2 HP Tape Libraries with direct fiber connections.

I have power cycled both libraries.

Any suggestions?

6 REPLIES 6

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Any Error/Alert in the Event Monitor?

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello

Try the following steps.

1) In BE console, under devices tab right click on the server and select "Pause"

wait for 30 seconds and then uncheck "pause".

2) Check the library if there is a tape stucked in the drive.

3) If the device & media service is stucked on stopping then kill pvlsvr.exe process

form the windows task manager.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Very 1st thing to Do --Update the Drivers . make sure you install the latest Symantec drivers .

jrobertson422
Level 2

I am using HP StorageWorks 1/8 G2 Autoloader, should I be using symantec drivers and not HP drivers? where do I find the drivers?

Also, to make sure all the info is out there, if I disable both tape loaders in device manager, then I am able to start/stop the device service with no problems, but as soon as I re-enable the devices, same problem comes back.

Also, running server 2008, not sure if that makes a difference.

And no, there is not a tape stuck in the drive,

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Also, running server 2008, not sure if that makes a difference.

What version of server 2008?  R2?

What version of BE are you running?  If you are using Server 2008 R2 as your media server, then you need BE 2010.

======

As for your drivers, go to Tools ---> Wizards ---> Device Configuration Wizard to install the tape library.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

Symantec drivers can be downloaded from their support page. That said, every installation of BE comes with a default set of drivers.

You can use the Wizards section under Tools to install the drivers.

What happens when you enable 1 device? Can you get things working there? And if the 1 device works, what happens when you disable that, and re-enable the other?

Those autoloaders/libraries don't have multiple drives? If they do, I take it you have the necessary Library Expansion Option licenses installed?