cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Folders restore from tape backup - Error E000FF00

Rob_Muller
Level 4
I am currently trying to restore my public folders and I can't seem to get it to work. I went into the exchange system manager and dismounted the public store, but I still get this error:
Restore- \\SERVER\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group Unable to restore the selected Microsoft Exchange databases because one or more of the storage group's databases are mounted. Use the Exchange System Manager to dismount all the databases for the storage group 'First Storage Group', and then retry the job.
V-79-57344-65217 - A failure occurred performing the post-restore operation.
V-79-57344-65217 - An error occurred while completing the operation on \\SERVER\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group
A failure occurred performing the post-restore operation.
Now, I went in and dismounted all of our stores, and even added the main Mailbox Store to the Recovery Storage Group, but nothing will seem to get this message to go away.  I'm just trying to restore my public folders from a tape backup. What else do I need to do to get this to restore my old public folder store?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Any reason you are leaving the temporary path blank?  That path does need to be filled in for the restore to work.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

chicojrman
Level 6
Is the backup and exchange on the same server that your restoring too?

what version is exchange?

what version is exchange? what OS are you running for server?

Rob_Muller
Level 4
Yes, BackupExec and Exchange03 are on the same server.  I'm running Exchange 2003 6.5.7226.0, on a Small Business Server 2003.

I really appreciate any help you can give.

Rob_Muller
Level 4
Nobody's got any answers for me, eh?  Dangit. We have some really important files I gotta get out of there and I can't seem to find a way to get them out.

The guy before me didn't set up our backup system to allow incremental restores of public folders. I didn't know, so now I'm trying to get these files and I can't get them.  I even went into the server through OWA and used the ?cmd=showdeleted on the folder. I can see the emails but I can't restore them for some reason. I was hoping that a full restore of the public folders would do the trick, but that's not working now.

This is turning out to be a bad week.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Are you just trying to restore a single message or the entire public store?

Rob_Muller
Level 4
Specifically, there's a folder that is missing all of its messages, looks like someone accidently deleted all of the messages in it. But since the person previous to me did not set up the backup correctly so that we can do an incremental restore to a public folder, it seems I have to restore the entire public folder.

If you know of another way, I'd love to hear it.

I'll be posting in a minute with the next thing I tried.

Rob_Muller
Level 4
As I was looking around, I discovered seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/310450.htm and thought it might help. So I tried duplicating the tape backup to disk, and then restoring from there. Got the same grief. Here's a screenshot of the error I'm getting:

Again, I did dismount the Public store.  Now, I've read that the RSG doesn't apply to the public folders, is that correct?  I tried using it but it only will recognize the main Mailbox Store.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
So when you are restoring the public store to the exchange server did you check the box the store to be overwriten by a restore?

Rob_Muller
Level 4
I made sure that was checked as well, on both stores, just in case that was holding it back.

But it still gives me this error.  I'm going to go through the process again, and take screenshots of everything I can and post them here. Hopefully you'll be able to see what I'm doing wrong.

Rob_Muller
Level 4
Alright, nobody has left any ideas so far. I can only assume that I've done something terribly wrong. I don't know much about BackupExec, so I'm going to post exactly what I did, in hopes that someone can say, "Woah, yeah you're an idiot, you can't do that" (or perhaps something kinder ;) ).

Here goes:

And of course, before I ran it, here's where I dismounted the public folder.

Thank you all for the questions you've posted so far and giving my problem some thought. I appreciate it.

Lively
Level 5

In 11d 7170 and 12.5 (with GRT enabled) I have been able to restore individual folders within public folders without having to use the recovery store.

I don't see any IMG folders in your restore directory which is what I would normally browse through to pick my restore selection.

Just pointing out the "another way to do it" option if the IMG folders were available.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Any reason you are leaving the temporary path blank?  That path does need to be filled in for the restore to work.

Rob_Muller
Level 4
It does?

See I knew there was a good reason for me to post what I was doing :).

I'll bet that's the problem then.