cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchased BE Through Dell - Need to upgrade to 7170

Dangerous
Level 4
So I dont have serial so the agent codes how to do I get the update install file?
15 REPLIES 15

Lou_Buffetta
Level 5
Employee
Hi

See this TechNote for instructions on how to get the downloadable software. It's a 2 step process. First you need your current S/N to generate a license key which will unlock the download.

How to get the installation source and license keys for Backup Exec for Windows Servers and components.

I like to get the S/N from a BEDIAG report. This way I can just copy & paste the long number into the license portal site. From within Backup Exec go to the TOOLS menu and select the 2nd option down - "Backup Exec Diagnostics..." Run the report. When complete it will pop up in a Notepad window. The S/N's are listed right there at the top of the report. You can copy it directly from the Notepad document.

Dangerous
Level 4
Thats it I dont have a serial code - Dell send you cards with all the agent serial codes on like 03-0000-0000-000000 so can get the upgrade through the website?

Dangerous
Level 4
Will this upgrade be released on liveupdate?

David_Bond
Level 5
I have the same problem, asked earlier today (along with another problem), got the same reply as you. So posted the same as you after that reply, got nothing so far too :)

Dangerous
Level 4
I'll try Dell again but if the update is coming to liveupdate i'll wait!

David_Bond
Level 5
I dont think it will be, 7170 has been out for a while how, I think its a upgrade/reinstall only. I want to install build 7170 for the sharepoint 2007/3.0 hotfix, which is only available for build 7170.

Tell me how you get on with Dell.

Thanks

David

Message Edited by David Bond on 07-27-200701:59 AM

Dangerous
Level 4
Just got in contact with my account manager @ Dell so should know by the end of the day :)

Didier
Level 2
We had the same issue. We bought the license for 11d through Dell and receive those cards without serial numbers.

To upgrade to 7170, install the latest trial version over your current version of 11d. It will recognise the licenses that you bought from Dell.
Reboot the server. Run, liveupdate to get all hot fixes. Don't forget to reinstall the remote agents after it and reboot them as well.

You should see you Microsoft SharePoint Server Farms in the selection window.

Didier

Richard_Berry
Level 3
I just did the LiveUpdate and one of the hotfix items lists as ver. 11.0.7170 ???

David_Bond
Level 5
I downloaded the trial versions and installed over the top, worked fine, except when backing up sharepoint, the RAWS client (beremote.exe) crashes on the media server, causing it to loose its connection and fail the backup.

Event ID 1000

Faulting application beremote.exe, version 11.0.7170.11, faulting module bedssps3.dll, version 11.0.7170.6, fault address 0x0002d1bd

Richard:
The live update hotfix you get, I dont get it, I have build 6235 installed on one of my servers (not updated it yet on it) ran the liveupdate, doesnt list any new updates for it. I currently have sp1 installed and hotfix 23 and 24.

Dangerous
Level 4
Yeah I'm not installing the trial version over the top. Still using 62xx version and I dont get the update either. Im in the UK if that makes any differnce to what server I connect too?

Still waiting to hear from Dell to be honest

Didier
Level 2
It was Dell who advised me to install the trial.

bedssps3.dll on our media server is also version 11.0.7170.6. All microsoft updates are installed on the media server.

Sharepoint 2007 backup is running fine (I have not tried the restore yet).

Dangerous
Level 4
Okay failed to get anywhere with Dell so is this 7170 coming to liveupdate?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

download the trial and install over the top of your 6235 code.   All you local settings should be migrated forward

Dangerous
Level 4
Ken some people have had errors within the software with installing the trial software so would prefer to find out if its coming to live update. If it is i'll just wait