cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about Getting a Disc to Disc job to tape, using differential backups.

ITHelpDeskDCC
Level 3
Hello Forum

I need help getting my daily disc-to-tape(D2T) job to simply back up what the daily disc-to-disc(D2D) job backs up.

This is my backup schedule:

A weekly D2D  Saturday full using archive bit (reset archive bit)
A daily D2D Sunday-Friday  differential back-up using archive bit (does not reset archive bit)
A weekly Sunday D2T full using archive bit(reset archive bit)
A daily Monday-Friday differential back-up using archive bit (does not reset archive bit)

These D2D back up jobs create 10GB files until the job is complete and stored in a specified folder.
The D2T backs up from this folder using the aforementioned methods.
The Monday D2T picks up the differential for Sunday and Monday.

Here is my problem:

The differential tape backups are picking everything up in the folder and creating huge files(1 TB+). I am using LTO4 tapes and  the full backups D2D are no bigger than 700GB so obviously the differentials are smaller at an average of 32 GB on the D2D.

To summarize:

My D2D is running perfectly and I want my D2T to simply backup exactly what my D2D is placing in the specified folder.

I am open to any changes that can make this happen. Best practices are important to me so keep that in mind when suggesting.

Thanks ahead of time to all.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You are going to need a multi-template policy
Template 1 - Saturday Full Backup to Disk
Template 2 - Sunday and Monday Differential Backup to Disk
Template 3 - Tuesday thru Friday Differential Backup to Disk
Template 4 - Duplicate of Template 1 to Tape (scheduled for Sunday)
Template 5 - Duplicate of Template 2 to Tape (scheduled for Monday sometime after the Mon D2D job will have finished)
Template 6 - Duplicate of Template 3 to Tape (scheduled according to rules so that it starts immediately after the D2D jobs end)

You comment about wanting the Monday D2T to duplicate the D2D data from Sun and Mon causes you to have to split the differential jobs into 2 templates. You can't set the Mon and Sun D2T template to start according to rules as this would then start on the Sunday as well

Also if you know the Saturday - D2D job will finish on the Sunday you could set Template 4 to be scheduled  according to rules so that it starts as soon as the D2D job finishes.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You are going to need a multi-template policy
Template 1 - Saturday Full Backup to Disk
Template 2 - Sunday and Monday Differential Backup to Disk
Template 3 - Tuesday thru Friday Differential Backup to Disk
Template 4 - Duplicate of Template 1 to Tape (scheduled for Sunday)
Template 5 - Duplicate of Template 2 to Tape (scheduled for Monday sometime after the Mon D2D job will have finished)
Template 6 - Duplicate of Template 3 to Tape (scheduled according to rules so that it starts immediately after the D2D jobs end)

You comment about wanting the Monday D2T to duplicate the D2D data from Sun and Mon causes you to have to split the differential jobs into 2 templates. You can't set the Mon and Sun D2T template to start according to rules as this would then start on the Sunday as well

Also if you know the Saturday - D2D job will finish on the Sunday you could set Template 4 to be scheduled  according to rules so that it starts as soon as the D2D job finishes.

ITHelpDeskDCC
Level 3
I will be attempting to set this up within the next day. I will report back my findings. Thank you for your response Colin.

ITHelpDeskDCC
Level 3
This worked awesomely. Thank you for your help