cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions on Backup Exec 12.5 for SBS

Bungeecraft
Not applicable
Hello all,

We have a client we recently migrated from a Linux based server to SBS 2008.  Their server came with Backup Exec 12.5 Small Business Server Edition.
The SBS 2008 server is a VM running under XenServer.  Backup Exec is also installed on the SBS 2008 server.  We are doing a full backup daily using backup to disk folders and rotating USB drives each day offsite.
A full backup and restore is currently taking about 20 hours. 

The gist of this is we need to find a solution to reduce the daily backup time window by at least 4 hours, though more is certainly better.

My main question is how do the Continual protection servers work and might  that be a solution in this environment. 

I haven't had time to read the manual on them...but I was hoping I could get a few main questions answered quickly here:

1.    Can you run continuous protection server on a single server?  (Can we run everything on their SBS 2008 server)  If so, are there any major concerns about doing so.
2.    Can you run continous protection server in the envirnment I described above...where drives would be swapped each day...or does continuous protection require all data remain in one storage location/media.
3.    How does online backup work into continual protection server?

Finally, am I missing something obvious here?  I see that Backup exec supports agents for Hyper-v and VMware VM's.  Does anything exist for Xenserver VM's and how does that differ from just running Backup Exec full backups on the VM itself.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig Glaser

1 REPLY 1

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Whats the Edition of Backup Exec? is it Quick Statr Edition?