cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RDX Dell External USB Backup device Removable Cartridge

RickkeeC
Level 4

1.) How can I stop BE from ejecting a disk?

The server is in a remote location, and if a job fails, the disk is often ejected.
If a restore asks for a different disk, and I click Cancel, the disk is ejected.
Sometimes, several disks may be needed to restore a file, I don't have the disks at hand, (again it is remote server) and no one at the site can take time to find the disk.  BUT.... The files I need are on the backup disk that is in the system.  

Regardless, if BE cannot find the file on the disk that is in the drive, it is EJECTED and prompts for media.

HOW CAN I DISABLE EJECTING?

2.) Is there an option to restore from media, instead of catalog?

If I try to catalog a media set (and the current media in the drive is not what is displayed in the console, due to SLOW or NEVER update of a changed disk) The disk is EJECTED and I am prompted for media that is not in the drive.

I see in the catalog the files I want to restore, but BE has a challenge finding the file and ejects the disk.
It would be great if I could look at files at the media level, for example a .bkf file, open it and drag and drop or choose to restore the file I see on the disk.

Most of my problems could be solved if I could disable RDX ejecting the disk.

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4

lmosla
Level 6

Hi,  to enable correct functionality for the devices eject capabilities make sure you have the HP RDX utility.  you can get it here: http://www.hp.com/support/rdx

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

which version of BE are you using ? the current BE version i.e. does not have the eject option and that is being worked by engineering :

Refer : http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH218484

Regarding the restore it will prompt you to put another cartridge if the files you are restoring are on a different cartridge than the one inserted. If they are on the same cartridge and still the cartridge gets ejected can you share a screenshot of the restore selections which shows the backup set date and content the the inserted cartridge.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Is the entire backup chain, i.e. full + incr/diff backup on the same disk?  If not, this may happen because for BE 2014, the full and previous incr are automatically restored.  See this blog

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/simplified-restore-workflow-be-2012

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If for any reason BE thinsk it needs another disk it will eject the existing one, by the time you see the cancel option on a warning asking for another disk, all you are cancelling is the job the eject itself has already taken place. There is no way to disable this behavior.

Thinsg that could cause an eject

1) During a backup if cartridge fills up

2) At start of a backup if the cartidge has been switched to read only operation (BE does this automatically for cartridges not mounted after a period of time and we also have a defect in this area as well, so recommended practice is to always check the read-write/read only status of RDX carridges after insertion)

3) During a restore if parts of what is requested for restore are on different cartridges. (as pkh mentioned)

4) You set the backup job to eject at the end of the job.