cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RSG Mailbox Restore Issue - Exception Item skipped by user

tkettering
Level 2
I'm attempting to restore one mailbox to a Recovery Storage Group, but keep getting an exception message "Item SERVER\hidden\Database\Mailbox [alias]\Top of Information Store\... was skipped by the user" for every item in the mailbox.  The user mailbox currently exists in the production Storage Group database, which is why I need to restore this mailbox to a RSG.

My restore job includes...
  Redirect Exchange sets
    Redirect using Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provider
       Redirect to Recovery Storage Group (RSG) (Exchange 2007 only)

Backup Server -
Backup Exec 12.5 + SP2 + Hotfixes
Windows Server 2003

Exchange Server -
Windows Server 2003
Exchange 2007

The restore job completes normally (no errors).  Although, nothing is actually restored due to the exception / skipped items.

Thanks in advance for any input on this issue.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
You cannot restore a mailbox to Recovery Storage Group. You can only restore entire database to Recovery storage group. So, when you restore a mailbox, it always will go to the production database and try to write the messages, if it encounters some messages which are already present, it would skip them. If you would like them to be overwritten, you can select the check mark: "When restoring individual mail messages and folders, restore over existing messages and folders" in the Microsoft Exchange tab in the restore job.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
You cannot restore a mailbox to Recovery Storage Group. You can only restore entire database to Recovery storage group. So, when you restore a mailbox, it always will go to the production database and try to write the messages, if it encounters some messages which are already present, it would skip them. If you would like them to be overwritten, you can select the check mark: "When restoring individual mail messages and folders, restore over existing messages and folders" in the Microsoft Exchange tab in the restore job.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
As a workaround I would suggest you to perform a redirect restore to a different mailbox instead of restoring to recovery storage group ...

tkettering
Level 2
Find out this morning that the restore was indeed writing to the production mailbox; even though I selected the RSG redirect.

Thank you for the response.

tkettering
Level 2
Good idea.  I will redirect to a mailbox next time.  Thanks.