cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ralus agent on SLES 10 SP2 communication error

Chris_Giles
Level 3

Hi,

Sometimes (twice a week, randomly) the RALUS agent (12.5.2213.0) loses communication with our Windows 12.5 Backup Server (also 12.5.2213.0), with the error below.

It can occur during the job, after the job has finished, or after the verify has finished.  Having verify on or off, open file on or off doesn't matter.  We have another server being backed up with this agent and it hasn't failed yet.

Job ended: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 6:08:22 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe30 - A communications failure has occurred.
Final error category: Server Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link
V-79-57344-65072

If I check the SLES server, the agent is stopped and I have to manually start it up again.

I configured the debugging in /opt/beremote/bin

with the command ./beremote –log-file ralusdebug per TID

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/272988.htm

However, the ralusdebug log file after 1 evening was 2.2 GB and so I could not open it.  Any other ideas on how to troubleshoot this?  I have already opened a ticket with Symantec support as well.

I should add the server is virtualized using SLES virtual manager, but that shouldn't matter.

Thanks,

Chris

Message Edited by Chris Giles on 01-22-2009 10:36 AM
12 REPLIES 12

MCanseco
Level 2
Partner
Hello, I have the same problem but with SLES 10 SP1. Also in virtual machine.
I have Backup Exec in the same version.
My error is constant, I could not have done an alone copy well.
I have a case opened and I ordered a file of log of 1,5 GB (20MB .tar.gz).

In my case the client is a SLES 10 SP1 + OES2 and I am copying systems NSS.

I have tried to change the option SHOWTSAFS=1 and it continues giving me the same mistake.

Also I have other similar systems with the same problem and am so frustrated that into many cases I have changed the system of backup to Tivoli Storage Manager...

APSFALCONS
Level 2

We are having the exact same issue, but with only one of our servers.  If you find out anything from the ticket you have open, please post back here and let us know.  I have tried the same things (logging, etc..) only to come up empty.  Seems like it works fine for a while and then bombs again.  I usually have to reboot the server to get it working again.  We're using a DataDomain device as a backup medium -- I wonder if that has something to do w/it?

I don't get why the agents are so buggy and seem to work perfectly fine on one server but not on another. 

We continue to backup iFolder to a NetWare box and then to backupexec due to the issues with long pathnames that was supposedly fixed, but is still not working right.  We are also having an ongoing issue with backing up GroupWise on a SLES server which I have started a separate thread for.

On another thread, someone suggested doing a cron job to tar up the files needed for backup and ftp them to the desired backup medium.  Seems like that is almost a better solution than to deal with constant issues on the backup exec side!

Message Edited by APSFALCONS on 02-02-2009 05:49 AM

Chris_Giles
Level 3

Hi,

I haven't had much success with support.  They want the log file when the backup occurs, but the log by the time the job ends is 2.2 GB and cannot be opened.  Unless someone know how to open a large text file.

They suggested creating a smaller job to test with, but again the failure doesn't always occur, so I could be running a sample test job for ever to catch it happening. 

We are running SLES 10 SP1 with OES 2.

Support also doesn't know a way to make the log file smaller or log less information.  Really I just need the need the end of the log file when the error occurs.

We have the same agent running on our groupwise server running the same OS, but it doesn't have problems. 

Sometimes the job fails mid job, 2 hours in, and other times it fails after the backup is complete and after the verify is complete, which really shouldn't matter, but it means the ralus agent is now stopped, so we have to know to start it again.

Also we are using an IBM tape drive, System Storage TS 2340, not that it should matter.

Message Edited by Chris Giles on 02-04-2009 09:13 AM

APSFALCONS
Level 2

Your frustration with the large text file sent me on a google search to find a file splitter.

Google "File Splitter" and see if you get any results with that.  I may try that same method next time our backup dumps, if for nothing else to just see the log file.  I have been debating on opening a case w/them for the same reasons you are struggling with. For now, we robocopy over to an old netware server and make our backups from there.  A bit more time, but at least its reliable. 

Chris_Giles
Level 3

I actually had the job fail last night, but the log file was 7.8 GB! However I had it pipe the output to the console screen as well, so I was able to capture the last bit before it died with print screens.  I have sent them to support, however they haven't got back to me.  My call was escalated and since then I have had less contact then ever.

Chris_Giles
Level 3

Print screen of the failed message, not seeing anything useful.

[URL=http://img6.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ralusfailprintscreenqn2.jpg][/URL]

Message Edited by Chris Giles on 02-06-2009 09:01 AM
Message Edited by Chris Giles on 02-06-2009 09:02 AM

MCanseco
Level 2
Partner
I continue with the opened case. Now they have climbed it... But as the things for that they ask me I have few hopes. The last thing for that they asked me was to copy an alone file ... but an alone file is copied correctly, is not generated core dump.

In Symantec they are very lost...
And I have the very angry client.

It is the last Backup Exec that I sell and install.

MCanseco
Level 2
Partner

I have seen the light at the end of the tunnel!

They have sent from Symantec an orphan that modifies a library of the client. I am trying...
library: libbedsvx.xo

They have confirmed to me that are employed at a modification of the product.

APSFALCONS
Level 2

Hmm...sounds promising...er...at least its worth a try? 

Can we download this updated library somewhere along w/instructions to install it?

MCanseco
Level 2
Partner

By request of Symantec I have eliminated the post. I am sorry.

Saludos Trianeros II

Sergiok
Level 2

So how do we get our hands on the new libbedsvx.xo file????

And why has Symantec forced you to delete your post? 

Michipapa
Not applicable
Hi,

Now I have the same Problem.

Has anybody got a solution from Symantec ?

greetings