Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recreating delete mailboxes from Exchange 2010 restore using BEWS 2010

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hello support,

I need to get the correct setting for recreating some deleted users mailboxes as regards the password to use.

I tested restore of a mailbox from an Exchange 2010 backup and I used the administrator password to recreate the mailbox during the Exchange restore setting.

I try to login to the mailbox using owa and it only accepts the administrator password.

What if i am in a situation whereby i do not know the user's password  or i have about 3 deleted mailboxes, do I change their passwords in AD after the mailbox has been restored? or Do I restore their mailboxes one after the other with their correct paswwords (if i know the passwords)?

What is the right way to do this? I am able to login to the OWA and view the mails.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You wouldn't use the user's username/password to restore the data as this is going to fail it outright. They wouldn't have the correct permissions, so that isn't an option.

Since you're restoring and recreating the mailbox, I am sure what happens in Exchange is that the mailbox is created with the username/password of the account doing the restore. As such, it won't be attached to the original user's account.

If it isn't a train-smash, continue doing it this way and logging in with the admin account. If you need to reattach to the user's account, you'd have to modify this within Exchange itself.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV

Hi,

You wouldn't use the user's username/password to restore the data as this is going to fail it outright. They wouldn't have the correct permissions, so that isn't an option.

Since you're restoring and recreating the mailbox, I am sure what happens in Exchange is that the mailbox is created with the username/password of the account doing the restore. As such, it won't be attached to the original user's account.

If it isn't a train-smash, continue doing it this way and logging in with the admin account. If you need to reattach to the user's account, you'd have to modify this within Exchange itself.

Thanks!

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi CraigV,

I am not using the username and password to restore the individual mailbox.

I am restoring this mailbox using the option to recreate the mailbox because it has been deleted. initially i did not use the any password because it is grayed out and the job failed. I use the password only from the steps to add a default password in the default options page.

Are you saying i should restore the mailbox and change the password in Exchange before the user logs into his/her account at all?

CraigV

...it's going to use your BESA account during the restore. What I am thinking is that because of this, it then assigns the rights to this recreated mailbox in Exchange to the user account you're using for the restore. You should be able to reconnect the mailbox to the required user's account after the restore.

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi CraigV ,

I guess i would just use an admin password to recreate the accounts. Since the Users Windows AD account is also being restored the password would be changed before the user logs into the computer and they can have an option to change their password after logon.

Thanx for your repsonse.

CraigV

...isn't that what I said in the post you originally marked as the post...?

Nene
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi CraigV,

i hope u take no offence at marking the post as a solution?

thx

CraigV

;) none taken.