cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore from tape hangs at "Loading Media"

reduk
Level 3
I have a file I am trying to restore from a LTO, on an ADIC Scalar i500.

I have inventoried the tape, and cataloged it.  When performing the restore, it hangs on "Loading Media" and constantly moves the tape between the slots and the drive.
Can anyone help?

I don't know if it is significant, but this is not the server on which the original backup was taken, but a colleague has moved the catalogs over from the old server, and we are using the same tape hardware.
5 REPLIES 5

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Is there More than one tape that is part of the backup set?  It could be looking for another tape to perform the restore.  Try doing a long catalog of the tape and then try the restore again.   To do this go the tools/options/catalog and uncheck the top two options. 

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Does it do this with all tapes? If so, I'd suggest downloading your manufacturer's diagnostic application for that drive and testing it.
Moving between tape and slot sounds like it's a hardware issue. I'd assume That if you were trying to restore from a tape with a specific name/barcode, and that was in the unit, it wouldn't be a faulty tape.
Do you not get any queries to put in another tape in your Job MOnitor?

reduk
Level 3
The catalog job fails with error:

"Final error: 0xe0000900 - The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted. To add the media's catalog information to the disk-based catalogs, run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the Catalog operation.
Final error category: Backup Media Errors"

But I have imported and inventoried the tape.

This error occurs on both the original and new BE servers, and with all tapes.

reduk
Level 3
I noticed on the old server that the tape was listed both on its own, and as part of a spanned backup.

When inserting all tapes into the new media server, and doing a long catalog, it populated the catalog with resources from the spanned job.  However, the spanned job occured before the single tape job, and the single tape job is the one I need to restore.

Any ideas?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
...ja, try see if you can get hold of a hardware utility from your hardware vendor, and test for problems.
You can also try shutting down the drive, and the server, and then removing the drive. There is a whole bunch of troubleshooting tips from Symantec on their website, and you can check it out here:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/255501.htm

Are you able to back up to the device? Patch level of Backup Exec and the version?