cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore physical server to a VM and increase hard disk size.

alplechaty
Level 3

I have a physical server that I would like to convert to a Virtual machine. I have a successful backup the problem is when I try and convert it to VM using Backup Exec 2012, it will not allow me to adjust the target vm hard disk size. The reason for trying to move this device to vm is very low disk space. I was hoping I could create the VM with a larger hard disk so it will run without disk issues.

I tried creating a virtual machine with the same name on my ESXi host first but backup exec will not let me use that vm and requires overwrite.

Does anyone know of a way to get backup exec to allow me to convert to VM and increase the disk size?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hello, I am afraid that increasing the Disk Size during the conversion would not be posible as a P2V or B2V always keeps the same disk geometry as that of the source. You may refer to the following link to get more details on it: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH179997 . I'm looking for more possibilites to try to make it work. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hello, I am afraid that increasing the Disk Size during the conversion would not be posible as a P2V or B2V always keeps the same disk geometry as that of the source. You may refer to the following link to get more details on it: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH179997 . I'm looking for more possibilites to try to make it work. 

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

It might be possible by creating an empty VM with larger disk sizes and then using an SDR disk to do the restore - you'd have to play about with the SDR wizard (manual settings) to see if it is possible to then adjust the disk layout as I am not sure what options are available.

alplechaty
Level 3

Thanks I was able to get enough space clear to do the VM conversion using the vmware standalone converter.