Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring a folder from incremental and full backup

SasZ
Not applicable
Hi Guys,

I'm running backup exec 12.5.

A user just asked me to recover a program folder.

My backup schedule looks like this:
Friday: tapechange ... Full
Saturday: Incremental
Sunday: Incremental
Monday: Incremental
Tuesday: Incremental
Wednesday:Incremental
Thursday: Incremental
Friday: Tapechange... Full

So i had to recover a folder, i first recoverd the full backup, and then recoverd all incrementals. as the tape robot uses multiple tapes, it took about 15 minutes to recover everything (loading tape.. positioning tape .. recover ... unload tape ... load tape ... etc etc.)

There must be a easyer way to recover a folder? Is there a function in symantec which i can use to recover a folder, and backupexec automaticly selects the incremental tapes needed?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Unfortunately there is no workaround for the same ... you can logon to enahacement.symantec.com and submit your enhancement request .
Its just not possible because the way the catalogs are written and as the backup goes to different media .

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
When you did the restore, did you create multiple restore jobs? E.g if you did the restore on Thursday, did you create 7 restore jobs?
You can combine the restore off multiple tapes into a single job, which saves you a bit of setup time... However I don't think it'll speed up the backup time significantly. With incrementals if you have a file which is modified every day, I think BE will  restore that file from the Friday tape, then overwrite it with the restore from the Saturday tape, then overwrite it with the restore from the Sunday tape and so on.

It might be worthwhile changing your incremental jobs to differential backups. That way you only need to restore from the Friday tape and the last tape. The downside is that your weekday jobs will be bigger and last longer.

Not applicable
hi i would suggest u to use the restore the last full backup and most recent incremental for file however for folder will have to restore all the incrementals

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
hi i would suggest u to use the restore the last full backup and most recent incremental for file however for folder will have to restore all the incrementals

if he were using DIFFERENTIALs, this would work

with INCREMENTALS you must restore each INCR, in order