cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring from Tape. Switches between loading media and queued

mpoertner
Level 3
I've read some other topics about this problem when restoring or backing up to/form backup-to-disk folders but I am using a tape, LTO4.  The strange thing is that this used to work fine.  It's just become a problem today.  Nothing has changed as far as I know.  Any ideas?  I really need to restore this file fast!!

Backup Exec for Windows Servers 12.5 Rev. 2213
Windows Server 2003
6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Rescan for the device in Windows Device Manager. Once done, reapply the Symantec drivers, and restart the services before trying again.

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner

Hello,

Is it possible that the backup you are restoring from was across multiple tapes?
Check the job log from the backup in question and see what tapes were used.

Also check the alerts tab in backup exec for any media requests.

If it is only the one tape used try re-cataloging the media!

Gilly

mpoertner
Level 3
CraigV - I tried that, no luck.

Gilly - Here is a message I'm getting in the Alert Log:

ODBC access error. Possible lost connection to database or unsuccessful access to catalog index in the database.

Also, when trying to catalog a tape:

Catalog 00013 -- The job failed with the following error: The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted. To add the media's catalog information to the disk-based catalogs, run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the Catalog operation.

The inventory works fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner

The above error means that there was more than one tape used in the initial backup!
Go back to the backup log of the job you are restoring from and ensure all media used in the particular backup job are in the library!

That or the database/catalog is corrupt!

Gilly

mpoertner
Level 3
The database must be corrupt.  I'm absoleutly sure that there is only one tape. 

How do I clear out the databse?  Can I do it without reinstalling?

Thanks!
Matt

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Try a BEUTIL Repair Database run

It's not a permanent fix, but as a workaround you can also shutdown all BackupExec services, rename the \Catalogs folder (to \Catalogs.sav for example), then restart BackupExec, inventory, catalog, restore

(Don't forget to replace the production catalog  before the next production run   8^)   )