cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Robotic Library Error when doing an inventory on an empty slot

Matt_Vaughan
Level 4
I get a Robotic Library Error whenever I inventory an empty slot on my Dell PowerVault 124T. It also takes the hardware offline. Why is this?
6 REPLIES 6

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Are you patched 2,6,8 and I believe 9 now. If not get them on, they contain driver updates.

option 2:

remove the tape drive & loader from device manager.

Shutdown and remove power from the server

Shutdown and remove power from the tape unit

start up the tape unit and wait until it is at the ready state

Power up the server.

Good luck

Jay_Hughes
Level 3
Any time an error occurs when running an inventory, you should open a support case with the hardware manufacturer. The backup software only sends commands to the device to pull a tape from the slot, put it in the tape drive, read the header information on it, and return it to the slot. If the device goes offline, then it is usually the hardware that terminates the connection to the backup software and/or OS if something is not configured properly on the library or if the device is defective.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Matt,
Could you Update us on the Issue?

Thanks
Regards

Matt_Vaughan
Level 4
Yes, I do have those patches installed, and always wait for the tape drives and library to power up first.

It may be a firmware issue so I will check with Dell.

FWIW, I have standalone drives that do not exhibit this problem (also Dell PowerVault).

Matt_Vaughan
Level 4
Well, I ended up updating the drive and autoloader firmware, and then removed the devices from Device Manager. I also updated my SCSI card driver (Adaptec 29160). Still no luck.

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
You could try playing with your scsi id's, turning off the scsi bios.