cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SBS 2003 Disaster Recovery

CALOGERO_SAPIA
Level 4
I am having a nightmare trying to do a disaster recovery on a SBS 2003 server.
I cannot use IDR (SP1 intergrated Source disks issue) so I'm attempting to do the restore manually.

I've followed the Veritas KB articles to a T but everytime I try and do a System State / AD restore bengine.exe crashes at 99% and the restore fails.

I've tried to restore with and without Windows Updates, with and without BE 10d SP1 but it fails regardless.

I'm using an Iomega REV drive as a removable B2D folder. I've successfully taken backups and restoring at the file level works fine. Its just AD et al that I'm having problems with.

Any suggestions?
7 REPLIES 7

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- What error do you receive durning the restore?

- Did you receive any eror while creating a iso image?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

CALOGERO_SAPIA
Level 4
As noted above (and posted in other threads) I cannot create a working ISO using IDR as I have intergrated Win SBS 2k3 SP1 disks.

I'm attempting a manual restore:
I built a barebones Windows Server install. I then installed BE to a different location. I inventoried and cataloged my backup media.
I then try to do a restore of the C, D & E drives and the System State / Shadow Copy Components.
Regardless of whether this is attempted in 'normal' Windows, Safe Mode, DSRM and whether or not I restore to the original location or to an alternative location e.g. 2nd hard disk bengine.exe crashes when the job gets to 99% and is logged in the application log.

If I don't do anything after 15-20 minutes the job fails with a timeout error.
If I restart the bengine service the job just sits there. If I restart any other BE services the job fails anyway.
I've tried setting the recovery options to automatically restart the service and that hasn't worked.
I've tried recovering the information using NT backup and that can't restore the system state from my BE backups (but can restore NT backup's).

The job result is either Cancelled (by User Recovery), Failed or Recovered (in grey - but recovery fails)

To date all I've managed to do successfully is restore the system to a working state using NT Backup's ASR. But I am unable to recover anything in regards to system state, AD, security etc from the BE backups. Only file level restores work with BE.

Given that I can't recover the system using IDR or BE but I am able to get get a working system using Windows ASR, how do I go about getting my system recovered using the latest BE backups taken.

How can I verify that Backup Exec is in fact taking successful backups of the system state? I don't get any errors in the job log when backing up. Should NT Backup be able to access the system state information contained in a BE backup?

These are just a few of the Veritas KB articles I've refrenced: 283367, 236240, 243037

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi,

Ensure that you have performed the DR according to the following document:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/243037
You would need to run the recovery in the DSRMode.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

CALOGERO_SAPIA
Level 4
> bengine.exe crashes when
> the job gets to 99% and is logged in the application
> log.
>
> These are just a few of the Veritas KB articles I've
> refrenced: 283367, 236240, 243037

> Hi,
>
> Ensure that you have performed the DR according to
> the following document:
>
> http://support.veritas.com/docs/243037
> You would need to run the recovery in the DSRMode.

As noted in my post above, I have already tried using this support document to no avail. What I need to understand and fix is why bengine.exe is crashing during the restore as this appears to me to be the root of the problem. If bengine didn't crash the recovery process would complete and upon a reboot the Active Directory rebuild process would be complete.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please refer the following technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/236240

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

CALOGERO_SAPIA
Level 4
> Hello,
>
> Please refer the following technote:
>
> http://support.veritas.com/docs/236240

> > These are just a few of the Veritas KB articles
> I've
> > refrenced: 283367, 236240, 243037

Tried that too...

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Have also tried backingup System State with NT Backup ? Was it successful ?

Also run restore in debug mode and let us know any related event id generated in event logs ?
http://support.veritas.com/docs/254212

Update us on the same

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.