cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Agent req for MSDE?

Gordon_Smith
Level 3
Think I made a stupid mistake here....I recently upgraded my SBS version of BE to the full version. When ordering my upgrade licenses, I decided since I didn't have a full SQL server, I didn't need to upgrade the SQL agent.

Now, I've been having issues re: the MSDE locking up during local backups (remote backups are fine.) I created a new local backup and realized the old one had the SQL Agent and was attempting to backup the MSDE databases. Of course the new backup did not offer the ability to backup via SQL Agent.

My question is, do I really need the SQL agent to backup MSDE or is it possible to just backup the database files directly since this isn't full blown SQL (seems like a lot of money to spend for just MSDE.)

If I do need to upgrade, do you have the SKU I need?

THX
3 REPLIES 3

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,

If you just wanted to backup the Backupexec DB, it normally gets backed up with the DB maintainence and then with your Drive backup gets backed up on tape under the Path X:\program files\Symantec\Data\.

Hope that helps

Thanks
Regards

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
It's an interesting question that I hadn't thought of before, but from what I can see from my searches (cos it got me interested in the answer), the quick answer is that yes it does seem that you do need to get the SQL agent to backup any live MSDE databases.

However depending on your situation there you might well find the easier option is to use SQL scripting to generate a flat file backup of your MSDE database each night, which you can then backup using Backup Exec, and exclude the live MSDE database.

If you do a search on goole for 'backup msde database' you should find several solutions which will do the trick for you, but they do tend to depend on your SQL / scripting knowledge.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Grodon,
Could you Update us on the issue?

Thanks
Regards