cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 (KB970892) fails to install

jaspain
Level 3
Microsoft released Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 (KB970892) on October patch Tuesday. It fails to install on the SQL Express 2005 SP3 x64 BKUPEXEC instances on two of my my BEWS 12.5 SP2 media servers, as well as on a couple of other servers running SQL Express 2005 SP3 with other products, e.g. VMware vCenter Server, HP Digital Sending Software 4.0. Various forum posts found by Google suggest that having any of the SQL Server services disabled may cause this problem. In my case, the only disabled service is SQL Server Active Directory Helper. This service can be set to manual, but it will not start, and just setting it to manual doesn't solve the problem. These posts also suggest that having the SQL Server program folder compressed can cause the error, but this is not applicable to my situation.

I took a look at the Windows Update log and other than an error message with the return code 0x0000737d, I didn't see any useful information. I also looked at the hotfix installation log at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB970892_sqlrun_sql.msp.log, and found the error message: "Error 29565. SQL Server Setup cannot upgrade the specified instance because the previous upgrade did not complete. Start the Remote Registry service and go to Add/Remove Programs, select the Change button for Microsoft SQL Server 2005, and then select SQL instance HPDSDB and complete the setup."

The description of this security update at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970892, in the More Information section, lists four TechNet articles with troubleshooting procedures for known issues. Article 955250 seems like it may be applicable, although the error message doesn't match. I'm still trying to work through this.

The security update is available at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0d878f4b-71e8-4170-9a14-1bce684811ce&displa... for anybody who does not wish to rely on Windows Update.

Thanks for any additional thoughts that anyone may have.
28 REPLIES 28

Randy_W
Level 3
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/312651.htm

Will try this fix when the backups finish.   Nicholas, thanks for the post.  Will give the resume hack a shot if the hack above doesn't work.

Phydeaux
Level 2

EVERYONE, TRY THIS SOLUTION!

Here's the article that bascially helped me fix my Windows Server 2003 (32-bit) and Windows Server x64 Edition.  To find it via searching look for "KB954606" or http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=316661+site%3Asymantec.com&aq=f&oq=&aqi=
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/316661.htm

Here are my steps that I do to make sure that things are going as planned... every step of the way.  I know that some of the steps can be removed.  But being detailed is good fro people who realle really want to know what's going on.

Issue:
Event ID: 20
Source:  Windows Update Agent
Description: Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 (KB970892).
What you notice in the real world: Fails at 3am every day and leaves SQL Server in a stopped state which affects backups.

Resolution:

1. Run Microsoft Update.  Requests install of KB970892 patch.
  2.  Follow the links and download the GDR patch to the local server.
  3. Run Add/Remove Programs.  Choose CHANGE.  Run through.  Asks for a restart and quits.
  4. Regedit.
  • For 32-bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\Setup set Resume REG_DWORD=0
  • For 64-bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\Setup set Resume REG_DWORD=0.
  1. Re-run Add/Remove Programs.  Choose CHANGE.  Run through.  Asks for a restart and quits.  No change.
  2. Reboot the computer.
  3. Run Microsoft Update.  Still requests install of KB970892 patch.
  4. Re-run Add/Remove Programs.  Choose CHANGE.  Run through.  Doesn't change a thing because nothing was changed.
  5. Look at Regedit.  Value for Resume still "0"
  6. Run GDR patch manually.  Go through Wizard.
  • For 32-bit use the 32-bit patch.
  • For 64-bit computers use the 32-bit patch.  Yes the 32-bit version of the patch.  If you run the 64-bit patch you cannot check any of the checkboxes within the wizard and you must quit.
  1. Stop SQL Server (BKUPEXEC) service
  2. Push the "Rescan" button win patch install wizard.
  3. It patches the server.
  4. Re-lookup Microsft Update.  the patch recommendation is now gone.
  5. Reboot the server.
  6. Look at Event logS for errors.  Saw none.
  7. Run Microsoft Update.  Make sure the patch recommendation is still gone.
  8. Delete downloadded patch.

Have fun everyone.
Phydeaux

general1
Level 2

A bit on my environment first since this may not work for everyone. Windows 2008 64-bit, BE 12d, and the first time around we tried to fix it before I saw this thread it hosed our OS. So after a fresh re-install, and running into the same SQL patch issue this worked:

1. Installation failed from Windows Update (WSUS)
2. Modified this key (again ours is 64-bit) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\Setup set Resume REG_DWORD=0.
3. Go through Programs and Features, Change SQL Server 2005, select the BackupExec instance and go through the motions of the install.
4. Go back to Windows Update and try patch again
5. Success

Cyberfed27
Level 3
Thanks guys for the post, this helped me solve the same exact issue. It was driving me nuts having that outstanding patch showing up.
Here is a little bit of our setup:

Windows 2008x64 BE 12.5 -- vanilla installs

SOLUTION:
2. Modified this key (again ours is 64-bit) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\Setup set Resume REG_DWORD=0.
3. Go through Programs and Features, Change SQL Server 2005, select the BackupExec instance and go through the motions of the install.
4. Go back to Windows Update and try patch again
5. Success

TomSeed
Not applicable
Jaspain your "Microsof'ts Fix" was the silver-bullet.  Thank you.

Tom

thisisfutile
Not applicable

Gotta love it when scouring forums actually works!

Kudos to all who contributed and triple points should be awarded (IMHO) to jaspain for not only tenacity, but for ACTUALLY posting back the solution that worked for him (how many times have I heard that one before..."I'll post back what I find"....yeah right!).

FYI, I did confirm that you don't have to extract the downloaded SQLEXPR.EXE files to the recommended "C:" drive location.  My installer was looking for location "E:\bde2dd924943a3a4cd161a9d05b1\setup" (where "setup" was actually one of the folders being extracted) so that's where I extracted the install files too, and the installation completed with no problems.  In fact, I didn't have a problem with the password error either...coincidence?  I don't know.

Anyway, thanks again for everyone posting about this.

--Futile

Spider
Not applicable

Fabri_Fabri had the instructions that worked for me! 

Thanks for the details.  I followed them, rebooted, installed the service pack and it worked the first time......sure was tired of looking at the install every day on my task bar.

RichardDBA
Level 2
Hi
Does any body know if there is any impact if i install service packs or hotfix on the SQL Server Backup Exec instance?
or any web link that can help with this doubt.
Thanks

Phydeaux
Level 2

Richard,

I haven't experienced any issues patching the SQL instance(s) for Backup Exec other than what was reported above.  But then a few weeeks later we purchases a new agent and that caused a problem (see more details below).  We've been using Microsoft Update to patch the server since Backup Exec version 10.0.  I have no link to provide because most links are for issues not successes.

There is an issue with SQL (not to do with patching) if you add the VMware license (or 1 other license that we did not purchase) to an existing solution.  The trick here is to install and patch SQL Server before installing (re-installing) Backup Exec.
Here's the case I opened (I could not find a (public) link):
From: enterprise_support@symantec.com [mailto:enterprise_support@symantec.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 4:00 PM
To: X
Subject: Case 281-889-270 (V-225-53:Failed to install SQL Express BKUPEXEC Instance" that occurs when ...)

X,

Here is what needs to happen to resolve this issue:

Workaround #1:

1. Save the Catalogs folder and MDF and LDF Database files for Backup Exec.
2. Uninstall Backup Exec.
3. Reinstall Backup Exec.
4. Apply the SQL Express SP3 by tech note 327649
5. Replace the Catalog folder and use Beutil.exe and Copy the DB to copy the MDF and LDF back into working install.

How to apply the SQL 2005 Express BKUPEXEC Service Pack 3 (SP3) Update to an existing installation of Backup Exec for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/327649

Tony Bearden
Technical Support Engineer
Backup Exec
Symantec Corporation
www.symantec.com

These are my more detailed notes for the same steps.  Note that we do not use the default installation folders:
The best solution after uninstalling Backup Exec 12.5 and SQL Server 2005 Express Edition is to...

1.       Backup C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec\besernum.xml to E:\NonData
2.       Backup E:\Data\Symantec\Backup Exec\Catalogs to E:\NonData
3.       Backup E:\Data\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data to E:\NonData
4.       Uninstall both products.
5.       Go into the registry under SOFTWARE and delete SQL Server references.
6.       Reboot.
7.       Install SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with Service Pack 3 and as a named instance called BKUPEXEC.
8.       Patch SQL Server 2005.  Reboot if necessary.
9.       Install Backup Exec importing besernum.xml & using the named SQL instance <servername>\BKUPEXEC.
10.   Stop all Backup Exec services.
11.   Rename or backup the E:\Data\Symantec\Backup Exec\Catalogs & E:\Data\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data folders
12.   Copy the original Catalogs and Data folder into E:\Data\Symantec\Backup Exec.
13.   Start all services.
14.   You should see a completely working Backup Exec product with all of your catalogs and historical data.  These plans are exactly what I would use to move Backup Exec 12.5 to a new server.
15.   Patch Backup Exec.
16.   Patch Backup Exec.
17.   Patch Backup Exec.
18.   Then reboot as long as there are no more Backup Exec patches. 

The bottom line is that now you have a surefire way to restore Backup Exec 12.5 (and I believe most other versions after Symantec took over) in case of a SQL error.  I used this method 5 times.  A 3 for practice and honing in the process and then 2 for real.

Phydeaux