cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selection lists, policies and design

VaJay
Level 2
I`m new to this forum so forgive me if this has already been covered but, i could not find anything.
We here are required to run full backups M-F after creating my selection lists and my policies i am thinking that it might be more efficient if i was to run my GFS backups as all data M-F and all of the client system states and shadow copies on Friday as a weekly.
 Question: will running all of the client  system states/shadow copies cause a problem in the event of a DR? Anyone have any other suggestions?  Thank you in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

From my side, if you have the space on the tape, run them all together.
When you create a GFS policy, you can only use 1 selection list. In your setup above, you would then need 2 x GFS policies, and 2 x selection lists. If you are happy to go that route, you would then run all data Monday - Thursday, and client system files/shadow copies on the Friday.
However, if you run SQL/Exchange/Lotus Notes etc...anything as a DB backup...keep those separate. You can run 2 jobs to the same tape if set up correctly.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/backing-databases-and-files-same-tape-separate-jobs-using-backup-exec

Laters!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

From my side, if you have the space on the tape, run them all together.
When you create a GFS policy, you can only use 1 selection list. In your setup above, you would then need 2 x GFS policies, and 2 x selection lists. If you are happy to go that route, you would then run all data Monday - Thursday, and client system files/shadow copies on the Friday.
However, if you run SQL/Exchange/Lotus Notes etc...anything as a DB backup...keep those separate. You can run 2 jobs to the same tape if set up correctly.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/backing-databases-and-files-same-tape-separate-jobs-using-backup-exec

Laters!