cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server 2003 R2 Rebuild - Backup Exec 12 Restore Instructions

Sabre17
Level 3

I have a Windows 2003 R2 Standard Server where the drives died so I need to do a complete rebuild of OS.

I am running Symantec Backup Exec 12.

What is the process for restoring all the files, system state and SQL databases?

I am unclear on what to name the machine (same as old server?), should I create the same domain name?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified

See this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH10797

Sabre17
Level 3

I installed SQL 2008 on the server now Backup Exec wont open the Restore Job. Is there an incompatibility between the Backup Exec SQL instance and the seperate SQL 2008 instance I installed.

How do I fix this. I have completely uninstalled SQL 2008 and unistalled and reinstalled Backup Exec 12. When I try to create a Restore job, Backup exec hangs. Is there a tool to completely uninstall Backup Exec 12.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...did you try catalog the tape? Did you try re-attach the BEDB or are you using a new BEDB? If the latter, then you would need to catalog the tape you want to restore from in order to add that information back into the BEDB making the tape available for restore purposes.

Once you can see the info on the tape you can restore the server...

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE 12 does not support SQL 2008 for the BEDB.  See page 36 of the SCL below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56442

You got to use SQL 2005.

Sabre17
Level 3

PKH - You didnt read what I said. BEDB is running on SQL 2005 Express what came with the BE software, I installed a separate SQL 2008 instance for another program. Is there a compatibility issue that exists with even having SQL 2008 on the server. That was the last thing that I did and now I can no longer open restore jobs.

I want to find complete manual uninstall instructions of BE because a regular uninstall and reinstall isnt working.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

No there isn't. SQL Express is completely separate and having a full installation of SQL on the server shouldn't interfere at all.

Manual uninstall instructions used to be available, and while still around online, i'd recommend opening a support query with Symantec to do this officially.

Thanks!

Sabre17
Level 3

Symantec no longer supports BE12 so I can only use these forums.

Craig- After I uninstalled BE12, SQL 2008 and every SQL 2005 program from Add/Remove then removing Symantec folders from All Users, App Data and Program files. I did a reboot and then I did a Catalog and now I am seeing the resore job. I will now attempt for restore the SQL database. If it was just to re run the catalog job again you'd think that there would be a simple message that said so.

Thanks for pointing me in the right directions.

Sabre17
Level 3

Ok, everything up and running here.

I was unable to do a System State restore as I planned to because

1. The registry was corrupted (red x in the restore selection next to registry) This was due to why the server failed in the first place, dying disk.

2. I didnt know I had to backup the C:\Windows directory for a System State Restore. You'd think Symantec would automatically select all the folders you would need when you click on the System State in the backup job.

The SQL restore went smooth. Had to create new DB file and restore to database.

The files restore went smooth.

Thanks