cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Several different installation didn't backup this night.

Tim_Van_Engelan
Level 2
Hello,

I had a strange thing this evening. I was notified of 34 different Backup Exec installations where the backup
was failed this evening.
I suppose it could be caused by LiveUpdate, but the function has been disabled with the Symantec Tool.
All the installation are seperate and have no affiliation.

It happened also with different versions of Backup Exec (10d, 11d, 12.0, 12.5), as well as on SBS-servers
as standard servers.
Restarting the backup exec services solved the problem. The windows logs didn't give any info. But
the Backup Exec job had "Ready : no media servers are available" in the current job. A bit weird, because
every service was running.

I'm a bit worried about this issue.   

Did this happen with other people too?

Regards,
Tim Van Engeland
ODIT SYSTEMS
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sounds suspiciously like the Daylight Savings Time Bug that Backup Exec has had since v9 (v8?)

Were any jobs running over Saturday night/Sunday morning?

JoeriVanthienen
Not applicable
Tim, we've had the same issue this night with several clients.
@ 11.00 PM starttime -> e00081d9 - The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding. JOB STATUS: Failed
@ 11.10PM starttime till ... Job Status Completed

Tim_Van_Engelan
Level 2
Hello,

No, only 2 of them have a backup running at saturday night or sunday.
Is the Daylight savings Time Bug still existing in current versions of Backup Exec, also when they are up-to-date?

I even checked at a client, because many clients have backup exec on a server which also haves the Symantec Endpoijt Protection Manager and Symantec Mail Security for Exchange. That client has Backup Exec 12.5 installed on this  server and there is no other symantec product existing.

Checked the eventlogs for the last few days and there is nother logged that could be a cause of this.

Regards,
Tim Van Engeland
ODIT SYSTEMS

tech29
Level 6
Hi Tim,

We also faced the same issue.  Most of our jobs got missed and I do agree with Ken that this might have happend because of the Daylight saving.. Symantec still has not come up with any permanant solution on this, however, the workaround is to just restart the backup exec services.  I have done this and today there were no failures.

regards,
tech29