cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shadow Copy - Restore

M_A_Lynch
Level 2
Hi Everyone,

I've just been experimenting with restoring a document from a backup.  I thought I'd better have a go now with 2012 before I have to do it for real.

I'm trying to restore a document from a Shadow Copy Components Backup of a DFS share, the problem that I have is that I cant seem to use the SEARCH facility, and by that I mean I don't get an option to use it, I am forced to search for the Document(s) manually.

This is quite a problem as the backup is of our replicated Document Store (which I have put to Tape as an in-time snap-shot), but the Document Store is 11+ Million Documents (in 1.6 Million folders) (that's just the way the Document Management software stores them).

It take many mins to start to list the directories as the backup 2.2TB, and it makes using BE 2012 a real pain (sadly one of many).

Is there a Search Facility that I am missing for Shadow Copy Backups, or is it just not implemented?, and if its not can it be?

has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Mark

2 REPLIES 2

theOnkar
Level 4
Employee

The search function should work fine for a document backed up from a DFS share.

Was it backed up using 2012 ?

And considering the size of the Document store : 

11+ Million Documents

it will take some time for the search to display the results.

M_A_Lynch
Level 2

Yeah it is backed up using 2012 (sadly I thought it would be a good idea to upgrade to 2012...boy was I mistaken)...but that rant aside....

Backup Exec 12 had no problem with the amount of documents, but I didn't back them up via Shadow Copy Components, but via a share.  The search used to take about 10 - 15 seconds at most on BE 12.

I don't think restoring from a Shadow Copy Component backup has the ability to Search for files, as the option just doesn't appear, or if I click on Search on the ribbon, It just loads the search window and doesn't list any files or locations.

M