cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single Instance Storage backups unrecoverable except to original media

bobster151
Level 2

Hi,

I've been doing some reading about this and from what I can gather, if I have backups of data that come from a Windows Storage server with Single Instance Storage enabled and that server gets blown up, there is no way I can recover the data.

Is this correct?

6 REPLIES 6

bobster151
Level 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

What that article states is that you cannot redirect the restore and it must go back to a volume with SIS enabled - it also points you to the Microsoft KB as it is not a Backup Exec limitation.

In practice what it means is if you lost the whole SIS environment you would have to rebuild a server with same name and same drive letters and possibly volume labels on the drives, then re-enable SIS on the volumes before attempting to restore the data. Of course this very process will extend the total time to have your data back compared with just being able to redirect to somewhere in a hurry if SIS was not involved.

One workaround to this is to open up share level backups from the volume root, as this type of backup whilst slightly slower and potentially using more space in your backup media, backs up the data as an end user sees it instead of as the file system sees it.

Another option is to possibly think about using Windows 2012 Deduplication instead of SIS.

Note: It is possible that we will shortly be adjusting existing or providing new articles relating to the recovery of SIS as we are actually in the process of researching a condition relating to SIS recovery.

IT_Support_5
Level 3

Thanks for the comment, indeed building a new server with SIS would be tiresome but I suppose it is an option.

I was wondering, how does Backup Exec know what .sis files are linked to what file as, when I look at the contents of the backup, I cannot see a .mdb file in there which I believe is used to relate the links to data in the SIS Common Store.

Colin_Weaver

I could be wrong but I think alternate data streams in the SIS placeholder files that are left on the file system contain some of the link information so as long as the SIS Common Store data is also retrieved by the backup software anything in that MDB can be re-assembled by RIS/SIS itself. However please note I am not sure of the exact process as it is typically an area developers need understanding of and not tech support.

IT_Support_5
Level 3

Sorry, I was thinking of the situation where you have built a new replica server and have an empty MDB.  Do you mean that the .sis files in the backup may contain data that the groveler service can inject into the .mdb database?

Colin_Weaver

Sorry, but I have not got all the infoprmation to explain the exact process against either the scenario where you lost only the SIS volume or the scenario where you lost the host operating system as well.

All I can state is that we make use of the SIS Backup API from Microsoft