cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow performance backing up certain partitions

J_Barrett
Level 3
I am experiencing performance problems backup certain partitions on several Compaq ProLiant 3000 servers running Windows 2000 SP 4. The partitions are not fragmented and do not contain a large numbers of folders or files. I will receive throughput rates of 252 MB per minutes for 2 of the 4 partitions. I get throughput rates of 4 MB per minute for the other 2 partitions. All drives are the same make/model and firmware. What is even stranger is a good performing partition and a slow performing partition reside on the same physical drive.

How do I go about determining exactly what is causing this difference in performance.

I'd greatly appreciate any help you might be able to offer.
13 REPLIES 13

jeff_miller_5
Level 2
Hi JBarrett: We use compaq 3000 servers also. I have noticed the same issue from my raid. I go from 250 to 70mb on the same array. I turned off the compaq agents ( now they're call HP foundation agents, that seemed to help. I've watched it run and some user files run slower than others, looking into it, these are compressed files and that seems to really effect my backup. I still looking for answers too. I'm starting to stop some heavy usage services to see if that helps. We run a single partition raid 5, so i don't think it's your drives, maybe what's on them? I'll keep watching until i figure it out. Good luck

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please run chdsk/r on the two partitions where you are facing this problem.

What are the applications installed on these partitions and what resources are present on them?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

J_Barrett
Level 3
I have run CHKDSK /R against both partitions. Last night's throughput rates for these partitions are as follows:

E: Drive - 4.66 MB min 19645 files 759 directories
F: Drive - 4.59 MB min 2803 files 4575 directories

It took 8 1/2 hours to backup 4,465,356,574 bytes of data.

Applications installed on these partitions are as follows:

MS Office
PGP
Crystal Info

Please let me know if you require additional information. I appreciate any and all suggestions/tips you can provide. Also, both the backup server and server being backed up are running 100 Mbps Full duplex.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

-- Have you connected the tape drive to raid controller?
If so, we suggest you to connect it to SCSI controller.

You can refer the following link:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/191488

How to correct slow backup performance, slow virus or pre-job scans, and agent initialization problems on fragmented Windows NT,Windows 2000, and Windows 2003 server partitions http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/237444.htm

2)Title:-
What VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) settings can be modified to reduce the amount of time it takes for a backup to run?
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/249090.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

J_Barrett
Level 3
The Backup Exec 10 Server is configured as follows:

HP/Compaq ProLiant ML370 G3 w/2Gb RAM running Windows 2000 Server & Backup Exec 10 for Windows Servers Rev 5520. The tape drive is an HP SureStore 818 DLT Autoloader connected via an Adaptec 29160LP Low Profile Ultra 160 SCSI card. We are using 2 NC7170 NICs teamed running @100Mbps Full Duplex. Both the tape drive and autoloader unit are running the latest firmware.

I've used Backup Exec for years and had no problems with Version 8.6. The problems reported started after upgrading to version 10 on a new, more powerful server. I backup approx. 32 servers nightly, most run at the speeds expected; however, 5-7 servers are backing up execptionally slow.

Any help is most appreciated!

Helpdesk_IT
Level 3
Hi Barrett,

Did you find any solution for the issue? I have a similar situation like yours, earlier I used to backup the same data in 5.30hrs but after upgrading to v10.0 it goes to almost 12hrs.

Please let me know if you have any solution,

Cheers,

J_Barrett
Level 3
Unfortunately, I am still seeking a solution.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
In my experience, speeds in the 3-5 MB/min range on remote computers, is normally the result of Autonegotiate being used, rather than hard setting all NICs and switch ports. "Normal" traffic may appear to be un-affected, but the data stream sent by the RAWS to the media server chokes.

If that doesn't help, don't know what else to tell you.

J_Barrett
Level 3
The NICs are hardcoded 100/Full. I had learned about autonegotiate several years ago with version 7.3.

Helpdesk_IT
Level 3
I have tried all the possibilities mentioned by Veritas for the slow performance - what I am planning is to put a new harddrive and do a fresh installation since what I have now is an upgrade from 8.x to 10.0, I will let you know during the weekend.

Cheers,

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello J Barrett,

On multiple nic configuration, NIC Class GUID may be different from backup. This causes the integrity of network configuration to be destroyed.
Refer to MS article:Q318715.
Please reinstall tcp/ip, NIC driver, and AFT setting.
When a NIC teaming is configured, a "virtual NIC" (Network Interface Card) is created by the NIC teaming software. Network requests are then addressed to the virtual NIC, which then passes the requests to the physical NICs.
the virtual NIC must be configured with a MAC (Media Access Control) address that is different from the MAC addresses of the physical NICs.
To avoid this problem, the virtual NIC must be configured with a MAC address that is different from the MAC addresses of the physical NICs.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Helpdesk_IT
Level 3
Hi,

My Bkup server is on a single NIC, it was doing the same data in 5.30hrs on v8.6 and after upgrade it takes 12.5hrs which means I need to start the bkup @ 6.00PM and it ends nextday around 6.30AM, I am planning a fresh installation on a new hard drive but on the same server - I don't know how far this will succeed.
Any other HINTS??

Cheers,

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

To isoloate the cause of this issue try the following steps.
- Try a local backup and verify the throughput
- Try a backup on a backup-to-disk
- Split the job into smaller jobs and verify the results.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.