cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Space issue on CASO server Backup exec version 12.5

pkvyas1983
Level 4

Hi Experts,

I am new to Backup exec, We are ussing Backup Exec 12.5 in our environment.

We are facing disk space issue on CAS(centerlized) server where all MMS's Device & Media database is replicated. BE database & Catalogs of MMS server stored localy but as per properties of MMS server Device & Media database catalogs are stored on Central Admin server (F:\Catalogs\).

On ALL three MMS server under Catalog option-truncate catalog after setting are set for 6 Month, under database maintenance option Job & alert history set for 90 days .

CAS server Catalog option-truncate catalog after setting are set for 8 Month, under database maintenance option Job & alert history set for 365 days.

Earlier this setting was 999 days, We have changed the setting from 999 to 365 under database mantenanace setting but no result. Still we are facing the disk space issue on central admin server.

Database mantance is running on 4 am everyday on MMS server & CAS.

Could you someone assist me how to resolve this issue? Or I can manually delete the old log files from CAS server.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkvyas1983
Level 4

Hi VJ & Craig,

Thanks for your help, I will try to resolve the issue as per your suggession.

With Regards

Pradeep

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Consider lowering the retention period for job & alerts. Likewise for catalog truncation.

Other alternatives are to change the catalog location from centralized to either distributed or replicated.

Deleting older catalogs would be problematic only if you have to restore something from that data & then you would have to recatalog the media. Another option is to move the catalogs to another disk with more available space. You can safely delete older job logs/alerts as well.

pkvyas1983
Level 4

Hi VJware,

Thanks for update, we are cant change the catalog location from centralized to either distributed or replicated.

Could you please let me know the process \ Steps for doing..

1.how I can move the catalogs to another disk? There is not enough space  on other disk on CASO server.Will I need to stop the BE service while doing this all MMS & CASO server?

2. How to delete older job logs/alerts from CASO server. Catalog Location is F:\Catalogs\MMS\ ".fh & .xml" files. Can I manually delete the old .fh & xml file from this location?Will I need to stop BE service on MMS server & CASO server before manual deletion?

3. Another problem is for media information.Backups jobs are running with infinite retention on tapes & we dont have the media record which was used before 3 months. How to generate the media list used earlier?

Please suggest us.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

,,,just be aware that the setting change you made from 999 to 365 days is going forward...it will not delete 634 days' worth of catalogs...

If you don't have enough disk space on the CASO, then moving them is not an option...and if you moved them, you'd need to stop the CASO's BE services affecting all the other servers while doing so.

Thanks!

pkvyas1983
Level 4

Hi Craig,

Thanks for responce, yes setting that we have changed did not affect the catalog, we thinked that atleast 634 days catalog data would be deleted but no result.

As we also not having sufficient disk space on CASO for moving the the catalog, so could you please provide me any alternate solution for purging old catalogs from CASO? and other quetion is what CASO catalog would be inconsistent or currupted if I try to delete old catalog data manually?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...deleting the catalogs means you need to recatalog any tape that falls outside of your catalog retention period. I'd suggest making sure the MMS servers don't retain catalogs for a longer period of time than the CASO if you're using the distributed scheme for the CASO setup.

It's probably going to be OK to delete the catalogs, but make sure you have copies of them on tape, grabs backups where you can, and if need-be, verify this with Symantec support directly.

Thanks!

pkvyas1983
Level 4

Hi VJ & Craig,

Thanks for your help, I will try to resolve the issue as per your suggession.

With Regards

Pradeep