cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage device "DEVICE" reported an error on a request to rewind the media

Scott_Mckenzie
Level 2
Hi Guys, i've searched and searched on this one but can't find out much.... i've tried the suggestion of changing the registry key that was related to SQL 7 and SP1 but unsurprisingly as we aren't running that it made no difference....

Full error i get is:

Storage device "COMPAQ 1" reported an error on a request to rewind the media.

Error reported:
The handle is invalid.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I've tried cleaning the drive, new tapes, server reboot, dismounting the drive etc etc but nothing seems to work... understandably i'm getting a little worried now as we are "back-up-less" for the past couple of days.

Any assistance greatly apprecaited.
2 REPLIES 2

Mr_Backup_Exec_
Level 3
Hi there

You may have a physical problem with the tape drive. Have you checked you event logs for the following event ID"s 7, 9, 11, 15? If you have any of these errors and the source is either from the SCSI card or Tape Device you may have a hardware problem. If you have event ID 7 and the source is a driver try updating to the latest Veritas Driver. Also you can refer to the technote http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;154690

Hope this helps.

Scott_Mckenzie
Level 2
Thanks very much for the reply... i designated several hours to this and have actually sorted the problem - though i am unsure as to what part of my actions fixed it.

New drivers
New Media pool within BE
SCSI Card updates
Tape Drive firmware
Windows Update

etc etc