cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange error on Backup Exec 11d

Andy_C_28
Level 3

Hi there,

I hope someone can shed some light on this!

I am running Backup Exec 11d. It runs fine and has been for a while now. I have recently expanded the network and installed 2 additional servers. I installed the remote agent and all was working fine. We had an electrician working over the weekend and on Monday morning a few systems had miraculously died. The motherboard in one of the new servers needed replacing which I did. I re-installed the agent as I did previously but now I have intermittent problems running a backup on that server. 9 times out of 10 I can't view the files to be backed up when creating a new job, then I just hit F5 and it works fine. I ran a small test job and it completed successfully, but when I attempt a proper backup it errors saying the remote agent could not be contacted or may be the wrong version. It is definitely not the wrong version. Hardware wise the network is sound, all files accessible without any problems at all.

Does anyone have any idea at all what it might be??  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the agent and the service is definitely running with the correct login credentials etc.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Andy

7 REPLIES 7

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Try recreating the backup job and see if that helps .

Check the job log to see if the job is failing at any specific file or system state .

refer http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH52455

Andy_C_28
Level 3

Done that!

Created many test backups and the majority fail before the backup even begins. It sits in a Queued state and then fails.The error message states that it cannot connect to the remote agent.

Dev_T
Level 6

Hi,

On the remote server

1. Open the Start menu and select the following:  All Programs > Symantec Backup Exec for Windows Server > Backup Exec Remote Agent Utility

2. Once the utility opens, select the Publishing tab

3. Select the option to "Enable the Remote Agent to publish information to the media servers in the list"

4. If there are no media servers listed in the top box, click Add and enter the media server and IP address

5. Click apply and ok

6. Re-open the Backup Exec Remote Agent Utility and confirm the media server information is in the top box and the remote server is listed in the bottom box

7. Restart the Remote agent service.

hope this helps.

Andy_C_28
Level 3

Hi Dev,

Thanks for your response.

I have already set up the publishing info for the media server.

This is a really strange error, it being intermittent doesn't help!

Andy_C_28
Level 3

Does anyone know if there are any known issues backing up a remote server that has teamed network ports??  

Tested a different server on the same domain and that backs up fine, therefore the issue must reside on the remote server. Just trying to work out what I've done to it to affect the network capabilities.

Dev_T
Level 6

"I have uninstalled and reinstalled the agent and the service is definitely running with the correct login credentials etc"

The remote agent service on the remote server must run on "Local System Account" and not domain account.

Andy_C_28
Level 3

Really??  That's quite odd as it was working fine before the power failure. I will amend the account and test it again.

Thanks again Dev.