cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Successful restore causes BSOD after required restart on Hyper-V VM

mhartman
Level 3

I have a Hyper-v server that is hosting a few VMs. A few weeks ago a power surge knocked out one of my VMs. The VM is backed up using the backup exec agent for windows (installed on the Hyper-V Guest OS).

I created a new VHD file attached it to the VM, installed the OS, renamed the VM to the old name, entered the DNS suffix, installed the agent for windows then started the restore job. In the restore options I selected Restore over existing files.

The restore completes successfully (I can also see the files on the restored server) then specifies that a reboot needs to be done to complete the job. After a reboot the machine goes to 0x000000F4 BSOD.

The same BSOD appears if the VM is attempted to boot into safe mode as well.

Any ideas?

My media server is Backup Exec 2010 r3 completly updated on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard SP1.

Hyper-V VM agent is Windows 2008 Standard SP1 x86 running the Backup Exec Agent for Windows installed using RAWS32 from the media server.

Thank you in advance,

Mike

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Why don't you restore the entire VHD, rather than creating a new VHD and restoring it like a physical machine?

mhartman
Level 3

I can not restore to a VHD because:

1. The VM is server 2008 SP1 x86 to do a restore to VHD file requires the "Client or Agent" to be running server 2008 R2.

2.The backup is being performed as if the VM is a physical box with the Agent for Windows not using the agent for Hyper-V. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Since you are restoring it like a physical server, you should do the following

1) Create your VHD.

2) Install a support OS into the VHD.  The machine name SHOULD NOT be the name of the old machine and you should not join this new machine to the domain.  You should leave it in a workgroup.

3) restore the C: drive and system state to the VHD.

4) reboot.  You should get back your old server and it should be joined to the domain.

You should also familiarise yourself with the Preparing for DR section of the Admin Guide which deals with how to recover a physical server.