cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Error e0008516

Not applicable
While executing a daily backup job on a SBS 2003 server with Exchange, I get to following error:

Error category : System Errors
Error : e0008516 -
Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them. Check if files were deleted or renamed.

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34070

The link is unfortunatly not active.

Any support will be highly appreciated.

Thank you :)
11 REPLIES 11

Mani_2
Level 6
It appears that you are performing a snapshot backup through the respective agent.

- Ensure that you have selected AOFO and Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service as mentioned in the following Technote.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/268040.htm

If you are not performing the snapshot backup and would like to backup through the agent, deselect AOFO for any database backup.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/263784.htm

Varsha
Level 6
Please update us on this issue.

Ioda_Andrei
Level 2
I have same problem with Exchange 2003 server.

P.S. Windows2003+Exchange2003(SP1)

Ioda_Andrei
Level 2
Veritas Media Server v10.0 + Agent AOFO v9.1 = Works perfectly. But:

Note: Resource: "\\server\Microsoft Information Store\store1" is not snappable. Attempting to back up directly from the source volume

=)

P.S. Windows 2003 Server + Exchange 2003 (SP1).Message was edited by:
Ioda_Andrei

Not applicable
I have the same problem. Just want to backup the system state of remote server.

Even when I have disabled AOFO for this job, I get this errors

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0008516 - Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them. Check if files were deleted or renamed.
Final error category: System Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34070

and

AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0xE0008516): Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them. Check if files were deleted or renamed.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

Regards,
Thomas

R_E__Guttenberg
Not applicable
Got it too. Running Windows 2003 SBS Dutch with Exchange and MySQL. Using Backup Exec 10 SBS with AOFO.

Michael_Armstro
Level 3
I've got it too, having to revert to Windows Backup in order to clear the logs so that Exchange will keep running. This is serious...

Michael_Armstro
Level 3
The 10.0 Exchange Agent (10.0.5484.0) was installed and Exchange rebooted; I checked the document at http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/268040.htm, and found that my Exchange server selections expansion looked more like that from the shadow copy writer in 9.x than those given under "With Backup Exec 10.0..." in the document. I see nothing that looks like the "Exchange/SQL agent icon", in particular no "Local Selections" icon. The Windows Backup Utility seems to be working OK, though...

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
Hi,

The error "e0008516" may happen on 2003 server if system state and exhcnage is taken in one backup. In order to isolate the create a new backup only for exchange. Create another backup job only for System state through shadow copy components. Verify the results.

we hope this will help.

Thanks.

Michael_Armstro
Level 3
This was resolved for us by turning off the Advanced Open File Option when backing up Exchange.

Aalok_Pathak_2
Level 6
Create separate backup jobs for Exchange selection and normal drive selections. Remember that Exchange databases can not be snapped using Advanced Open File Option. That’s the reason it fails to initialize AOFO for the entire backup job.