cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape Library in place - cannot read/catalog media

j-mo
Level 4

I recentely implemented BE 12.5 and it has been working fein backing up to disk.  I just connected my Overland Powerloader tape library.  I found some old tapes that I know have data on them but cannot seem to catalog them.  Anything I try whenter it is catalog or inventory etc will just says "Ready; No idle devices are available." The media description reads "unrecognizeable media"

These data on these tapes was backup using Netvault.  I am new to working with Foreign media but am I on the right track?  I really need to see what is on these tapes but not sure how.

Thanks for any input-

2 REPLIES 2

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

What type of tape drives and media?  Make sureBE thinks the media and drive are compatible.  They should be be AIT or LTO or something.

To clear the  "Ready; No idle devices are available.", verify the tape drives appear idle in the BE GUI.  You can also try pausing and then un-pausing the server name in the BE GUI.

j-mo
Level 4
Thanks, this ended up being a driver issue.  After installing Symantec Tape drivers things got messed up in Windows.  Device Manager was all wrong.  This was causing the "ready" message.  Correct drivers fixed it.