cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape Library problems.

Viking698
Level 3
We are backing up one server with server 2003 standard and sql 2005, using BE 12.0 Rev 1364.

Had a tape library donated to our company, it is a ADIC Scalar 24. So after testing and making sure it is good, it was hooked up and replace a single tape drive unit a Quantum ultrium lto. The reason for the switch(beside the dontaion of a tape library) was the backups were starting to span 2 tapes.

Here is the problem with the single tape drive everything was working find. When we switch to the tape library the backup job errors out with the error code of V-79-57344-33938. Anyone seen this where switching to a tape library from a single tape cause this type of error.

Thanks for any help.

Viking698
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
That error appears to be MSSQL related  (enter it as the search string here
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/overview.jsp?pid=15047

have no idea why changing backup devices would cause this

If you create a new job and point it to the library or to a partition in the library, does that run OK?

Viking698
Level 3
Thanks for the reply Ken. If I do a backup that does not grab any sql databases it  works ok. It only happens when I try to backup the sql databases.

Viking

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Have you tried recreating the job(s) and selection list(s) from scratch?

Viking698
Level 3
Ok finally figure this out. The problem turn out to be a combination of drivers and sql databases files that were no longer in use(not a sql person). Once I had the correct drivers and deslected the database no longer in use BE ran just fine. I also had to start up the remote agent uilityIwhich for the life of me I do not understand why I needed to activate that for a local backup).

Thanks again

Viking

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Great !!

About the Remote Agent:  Since v9.0, ALL data access on a given machine goes through the "remote agent" even if the media server is backing itself up.