cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape library - robotic arm does not move.

Thias
Level 3
 Hi there!
First I should say, this is my first try with the BackupExec-Software. I downloaded the evaluation copy 2 days ago. (version 12.5)
I am currently trying to install my "new" Grau Infinistore L8 tape library. As it is not directly supported by Symantec, it has a built in simulation for the ADIC scalar1000 (and the exabyte X200 also - if that helps). 
I configured the 2 tapedrives (Sony AIT-2) to be part of the Library and everything looks nice. The only problem is: whatever I try to do, the robotic arm does not move...
Perhaps I should explain a little bit more. The robotic arm is connected to one SCSI-LVD-Card (ID 5) , the 2 AIT-drives to another (HVD) SCSI-Card (IDs 0 and 1). Windows2000 recognizes the two drives correctly. The library is shown as "Changer". I did not install any drivers for it as I think, they come with Backup Exec, right?
Backup exec showed me one ADIC1000-Changer with 2 "unknown" Drives and 92 Slots. It also recognized the full slots and the barcodes correctly. I then configured the lib with the help of the assistant so the two drives are now part of the lib. If I now try to delete on of the tapes, nothing happens. The log says something like "wrong parameter - Sony 1". All the same if I try a inventory run.
What can I do?

I should also mention, that the hardware itself is working. The software I tryed before BackupExec (EMC2 Retrospect) was able to move the tapes between the slots - only it had no possibility to configure the separately connected drives correctly.

Regards
Thias
7 REPLIES 7

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Backup Exec does not support emulated robotic libraries. So, as i see this library is emulating as ADIC, it is not going to be supported by Backup Exec.

Thanks

Thias
Level 3
 Sorry, but I dont understand, how BackupExec could not support a emulated Library. My Lib is behaving as if it was a Scalar1000. How can the Software determine, whether it is a real Scalar or an emulated one?
I'm not a native english speaker, as you may have noticed. Perhaps I am using the word "emulated" in a wrong way?

I noticed something in the Windows-Device Manager that could be a reason for the whole problem. The tapedrives are listed with their coorect names. In the driver settings it tells, they are from Symantec. In contrast to that, the tape library is listed as "Generic Changer" - driver is from Microsoft. In my Adaptec bios, the tape lib is listed as "ADIC Scalar 1000". Perhaps I have to install the correct driver? But how?

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
The drivers are correct, it should be Microsoft for the changer and symantec for the tape drive. But, the real problem is emulation. Please check following document which talks about this, as a problem:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/281310

Thanks

Thias
Level 3
 Thanks for this link. I will work through it. 
Is it a possible problem, that the robot is connected to another SCSI-card than the tape drives? All the troubleshooting pages say that the SCSI-ID should belower than the drives IDs. In my case it is not - but they are connected to different cards anyhow... I try to change some of that and see if anything changes.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Yes, you may try connecting them to same SCSI card, generally that is the kind of configuration that is recommended. Also, keep the target id of changer lower than the drives. You may want to look at adamm.log file located in c:\program files\symantec\backup exec\logs folder for more details.

Thanks

Thias
Level 3
 The problem with the different cards is, that the drives run on HVD (High Voltage Differential SCSI), the robot on LVD/SE ( usual Low Voltage / Single ended SCSI) and they are not compatible. I have one LVD-SCSI-Drive "lying around" - testing it right now...

Thias
Level 3
 So, I changed the configuration to a single SCSI-card -- robot on ID1, tape drive on ID 3 -> works.
It seems I now have 2 tape drives, I cannot use... But this doesn't matter. I would have changed them for greater ones anyhow.
Thanks for your help.