cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble installing MSDE after upgrade from 9.0 to 9.1

Aaron_Werley
Level 3
Hey guys, I am banging my head off the desk trying to figure this out. I recently did the upgrade from 9.0 to 9.1 and in the process said msde did not install properly, please restart and run a repair. Well everytime I run a repair it fails. If i try and install msde manually as per the instructions, it fails. Here is what is in the log:

Starting custom action SkuIt
MSI (s) (F0:04) : Executing op: ActionStart(Name=ConfigServer.2D02443E_7002_4C0B_ABC9_EAB2C064397B...
MSI (s) (F0:04) : Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=ConfigServer.2D02443E_7002_4C0B_ABC9_EAB2C064397B...
MSI (s) (F0:6C) : Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\WINNT\Installer\MSI1A7.tmp, Entrypoint: ConfigServer
SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Setup.{E09B48B5-E141-427A-AB0C-D3605127224A}
TempFolder is C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\{E09B48B5-E141-427A-AB0C-D3605127224A}\
Loading extended custom action library C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\{E09B48B5-E141-427A-AB0C-D3605127224A}\sqlcax.dll
SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Setup.{E09B48B5-E141-427A-AB0C-D3605127224A}
Starting custom action ConfigServer
Executing "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\cnfgsvr.exe -V 1 -M 1 -U sa -I "BKUPEXEC" -Q "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS""
MSI (c) (64:3C) : Font created. Charset: Req=0, Ret=0, Font: Req=MS Shell Dlg, Ret=MS Shell Dlg

Setup failed to configure the server. Refer to the server error logs and setup error logs for more information.
MSI (s) (F0!5C) : Product: Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine -- Setup failed to configure the server. Refer to the server error logs and setup error logs for more information.

Action ended 21:33:57: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

Anybody ever have this problem? I could really use your help, we have nothing performing backups I type. I also already tried to install mdac 2.7 and also the latest version with the same result.

Thank You,
Aaron
2 REPLIES 2

Aaron_Werley
Level 3
The only thing in the application log that may be of some value is this warning I get, the rest of the logs seem like it is just informative telling me it is starting up the service.

The description for Event ID ( 19011 ) in Source ( MSSQL$BKUPEXEC ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: (SpnRegister) : Error 1355.

Anybody have any ideas?

Aaron

Aaron_Werley
Level 3
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/278699.htm

Turns out this page gave me the most help out of them all, just took me 4 days to track down. I was getting a could not connect message instead of network error like it says there. But this is the only article around msde installation on symantec that says looks at cnfgsvr.out and bam theres an error of actual value. Anyway, followed the instructions for general network error and it worked when mine said could not connect. So hopefully it will save someone else some time since this ellusive faq was not in the see also section on any of the other faq's i read on symantec concerning the same problem.