Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Backup CIFS Shares

dkins
Level 3
Partner

Hi,

I am running Backup Exec 2012 with the latest patches. I am trying to backup three CIFS shares located on a NAS server. I was having problems last week verifying credentials against the NAS server using Backup Exec. I can login to Windows and access all shares using the account I am using in the backup jobs. I have also enabled "Everyone" to read the shares to get this thing working.

A full backup ran over the weekend of the shares but the differentials are now failing on two of the shares. I can edit the job and go in and see that the credentials test ok around the same time the jobs executes. I can fully expand all of the shares and am using the same account for the login account, for backup exec services and for permissions on the shares.

I have set the jobs to use any available interface and protocols, and have checked "Enable selection of user shares".

Job ended: 29 August 2012 at 09:38:24
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe29 - Authentication failed on connection to the server. Make sure that the user account has the appropriate permissions and that the password was typed correctly.
Final error category: Security Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65065

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dkins
Level 3
Partner

I recreated the jobs, rebooted and it works every day, except Thursday for some reason.

If if doesn't run this week I will log a call.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

What kind of NAS device do you have ?

If you have a NetApp or EMC SAN you can look into the NDMP option.

dkins
Level 3
Partner

It is a simple Iomega/EMC box presenting CIFS shares.

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Try using to NAS root account for backup.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Iomega NAS's are AD-integrated. You can consider adding the NAS to the domain and adding the BESA account to that NAS as an administrator. THis should get around any credential issues.

Thanks!

dkins
Level 3
Partner

Hi,

It is already AD integrated and the BESA is a NAS Admin on the NAS box. Everyone can read the shares so I really need to haev a look at some logs to see what is actually happening under the hood. ANy ideas where I can see that?

I have seen other posts where people have reverted to 2010 as they couldn't get it working with 2012. I have set this up before in 2010 without any issues so it must be something in 2012.

CraigV

...have you tried to remove the NAS from any backup and re-add it?

dkins
Level 3
Partner

i'll give it a go

dkins
Level 3
Partner

I recreated the jobs, rebooted and it works every day, except Thursday for some reason.

If if doesn't run this week I will log a call.

CraigV

Weird though...any sort of maintenance tasks that run on a Thursday?

dkins
Level 3
Partner

yeah I know. No tasks that I am aware of.

I'm going to see what happens this Thursday. The weekly jobs are differentials