cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Unable to attach to "server" - device specific error

and_rew
Not applicable
Hi,

I am getting this error message and I have been trying to resolve it for a couple of days without success.

I use Backup Exec 7.3 on an NT4 server and I need to back up the data on HP-UX server. The directory that I want to backup on the HP-UX server is shared out via SAMBA. I know it is possible to back up this data because I successfully backed it up a month ago. I cannot recall that any changes have been made to hardware or software since the last successful backup. I am relatively new to BuE. I have read many documents from the BuE support site and many threads in the forums but nothing has helped so far, so any suggestions you can offer would be very much appreciated.

The backup job starts and runs for about 30 seconds before failing. There are some warning events ("3006", "Rdr") logged in the NT Event Viewer (message "The redirector received an SMB that was too short") but this was also the case during the last successful backup, so I do not think this is the problem.

The HP-UX directory that I need to backup is defined as a BuE "User-Defined Share" and I can drill down through its sub-directories in Backup Selections tab without problems. The HP-UX directory is shared out via SAMBA and is publicly accessible to everybody, with root access.

I have checked the account (on the NT server) that is being used by BuE and I can confirm it has Admin, Backup, Domain Admin and Domain User rights. I have checked and double checked the password that is being used by the BuE services, and I have stopped and re-started the services many times (also I have re-booted the NT server). The username and password being used by the BuE services also exist on the HP-UX server. The most puzzling thing is that I can telnet into the HP-UX server with the same username and password (as that being used by the BuE services), and when I do it gives me the time of the last unsuccessful login attempt for that username. The time given is the same as when I started the Backup job, which leads me to wonder where BuE is getting the password that it is using to logon to the HP-UX server? Shouldn't it be the one that I entered for the BuE services? How can I confirm which password it is using?

I have even re-created the BuE password file (bewinui.uni) by re-naming the existing one and re-starting all the services, but this has made no difference.

Also I tried switching the BuE Job Engine service to debug mode, but the resultant log didn't give any useful info.

Clearly something must have changed since my last succesful backup, but I am at a loss as to what it is. It's probably something glaringly obvious so apologies for this post turning out so lengthy, and thanks for reading it.
0 REPLIES 0