cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to erase tapes in library

Joe_Trainor
Not applicable
We recently installed an Overland Storage Loaded Express robotic tape library. We are presently running Windows Server 2003 and 10d version 10.1 rev 5629.
The Backup Exec software was installed and configured by our admin and we have only been successful in doing one set of backups on an old set of tapes.

Recently we bought new tapes and have not been able to backup at all. After inserting the tapes in the library, we ran the Initialize and then scan on the library and then the quick erase. This is where we fail and get a the error that the media is write protected.

We have checked more then once and the media does not have the write protect tabs set. The software is configured so that the tapes are overwritable; not appendable.

Below is the process I just went thru:: all steps are done under Devices tab
Loaded 6 tapes in the library and these were inventoried but the loader.
In Backup Exec, I initalized the library, waited for job to complete.
Ran Scan
- at this point the bar code labels are read on all 6 tapes and
is in the "media label"
Started Quick Erase. during the erase job the bar code field goes blank and the media label changes to .
The Quick Erase completes, I receive a Device Error that the media is write protected. After the erase fails the tapes now show the bar code in the bar code field. The bar cde is is also now in the media label field. The media discription, which was blank before the erase now has in it and the media set is now set to scratch media.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What kind of tape device is in the library?
What kind of tapes are you using? Brand and capacity

Are you using the latest Symantec drivers? Have you tried manufacturer drivers? Are you current on firmware for the drive?

What kind of SCSI controller is the library attached to? Are you current on firmware and drivers for it?