cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to remove servers from Backup Exec

tech43
Level 4

We recently upgraded Backup Exec to 2014 and have several servers appearing in the Backup and Restore tab that were associated with old jobs that no longer exist, and therefore I'd like to remove these servers from the list. When I try removing them I get the following error:

"The server was unable to complete the requested operation. The server, <server name>, cannot be deleted at this time. Please retry your request later."

I have confirmed no jobs exist that back up the servers I'm trying to remove.

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Double-click on the servers which are no longer required. On the left side, click on each section (Jobs, Job History, Backup Sets). If there is any data available when you click on these sections, right-click and delete them. And then try to remove the server from the backup & restore tab. (Deleting backup sets if present will not allow restores for such servers)

View solution in original post

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Be aware that you cannot delete disk backup sets in BE 2014.  You can only expire them, but it is the same thing.  DLM will purge any expired backup sets from your disk and you would not be able to get them back, so be careful when you expire disk backup sets.

For tape backup sets, you can delete them and they would be removed from the console.  If the tapes are not overwritten, then you can inventory and catalog the tapes to get back the backup sets.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified
What about backup sets? Are there any backup sets related to these servers? If there are, then these servers cannot be removed

tech43
Level 4

Can you advise how to check for backup sets?

VJware
Level 6

Double-click on the servers which are no longer required. On the left side, click on each section (Jobs, Job History, Backup Sets). If there is any data available when you click on these sections, right-click and delete them. And then try to remove the server from the backup & restore tab. (Deleting backup sets if present will not allow restores for such servers)

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Be aware that you cannot delete disk backup sets in BE 2014.  You can only expire them, but it is the same thing.  DLM will purge any expired backup sets from your disk and you would not be able to get them back, so be careful when you expire disk backup sets.

For tape backup sets, you can delete them and they would be removed from the console.  If the tapes are not overwritten, then you can inventory and catalog the tapes to get back the backup sets.

tech43
Level 4

This worked well for the first two servers I tried which just had one backup set. When I tried removing backup sets for a server which had approx two dozen, I see the Expire option is grayed out and not able to be removed.

VJware
Level 6

Is the UI set to "Tree" view and not "List" view while removing the servers/backup sets ?

tech43
Level 4

It looks like List view, though both Tree and List are grayed out while I'm viewing the Backup Sets.