cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade 12.5 to 2010 services not starting

bankonit
Level 2
I did an upgrade from version 12.5 to version 2010 on a Windows 2008 32 bit domain controller.  After the reboot 2 backup exec services won't start. 

1. Backup Exec Job Engine
2. Backup Exec Agent Browser

I have run Live Update - it did not fix the issue
Prior to the upgrade backups were running.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

bankonit
Level 2
I called Symantec and was pointed to the following:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/339930.htm

Prior to installing stop all Backup exec services, including the SQL.

I downloaded the hotfix and it fixed the problem.

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Do you have a copy of your Data and Catalogs folders? And were there any errors during your upgrade?
If you look in your Event VIewer, is it complaining about a schema mismatch with your DB?
Let me know...I MIGHT have the solution below, which I have used on 3 servers so far...

I have had the same issue, but I had a copy of my Data and Catalogs folder. The main cause being that the Job Engine doesn't connect to the database. Running a database check proved that there was a connection.
I have had to fix it according to the following tech article:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/318321.htm

Firstly, rename your current Data folder to Data_old. Don't forget to stop all your services, or you won't be able to rename the current Data folder. Copy your Data folder backup to the same location as where the Data_old folder is. Start up the SQL instance (BKUPEXEC).

Then, go to the above link...
Look for the section informing you on how to use osql...this is where you will work from.
This will effectively make Backup Exec "see" a "new" server, and then import your data from your Data folder you hopefully have a copy of. Once done, you can rebuild your catalogs if you see that you don't have any of that in your Backup Exec console.

Laters!

bankonit
Level 2
I do have a copy of my catalogs (BESR on usb drive).  But the only error in the event viewer with regard to Symantec is that Live Update may have fail to install updates.

thanks for trying.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Have you tried the above with osql?

bankonit
Level 2
I tried the steps in Document ID 318321 as suggested.  I received response similar to the ones show in the document.  When I tried to start the "Backup Exec Job Engine" it would not start.

The event viewer show the database is connecting successfully.

Adamm Database Event: Open Database Connection Success!

Error = S_OK

Server = "XXXXXXX"

Active Node = ""

Instance = "BkupExec"

Database = "BEDB"

Connection String = "DRIVER=SQL Server;SERVER=XXXXXXX\BkupExec;DATABASE=BEDB;App=BEWS PVL"

thanks

AndrewP
Not applicable

I seem to have encountered the exact same problem as bankonit:

• 12.5 SP2 was working like a charm.
  • Upgraded to 2010 - no errors or warnings reported
  • Rebooted
  • LiveUpdate failed to install two updates
  • Backup Exec Server hangs on startup with no meaningful errors in the EventLog.

The only error in the EventLog has an EventID of 7022 with the following message:

The Backup Exec Server service hung on starting.

That doesn't help me. :(

bankonit
Level 2
I called Symantec and was pointed to the following:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/339930.htm

Prior to installing stop all Backup exec services, including the SQL.

I downloaded the hotfix and it fixed the problem.

Thanks for your help.

Asifalimirza
Level 2
I ran into the same issue, and I installed the above hotfix and it worked, but after some effort. I had to disable all the Bkexec services, reboot and than re-enable them without starting them up and install the hot fix. It really makes me wonder, does Symantec even tests these upgrades before they release them? Symantec has this knack of taking a good product and destroying it. Veritas was such as a sold product until Symantec got their hands on them. My 12.5 installation had to be repaired every other month due to the job engine constantly failing. Anyway, got it working so far...

Wishphish
Not applicable
I have the same problem (am a seasoned BEXEC Admin since Veritas v7). I cannot cleanly/upgrade install on Windows2003R2+SP2 from v12.5. Always get the same problem. I have tested this installation extensively:- (Windows2008 - NO problem - can upgrade/fresh install and the service starts everytime).. As soon as i try to perform an install/upgrade on 2003, the service freezes when trying to start. I have downloaded the hotfix (339930) but this rolls back with an error saying to check the log file..there is no log file (%username%\local settings\temp\{xxxx...).

Just to be clear: I have tried installing 2010 (32bit only) onto the following MVL Media: Win2K3 STDR2, RIS image store, Custom slipstreamed with SP2 and even an Evaluation CD!! (Was just trying to avoid a custom-O/S installation being the problem).

I am sticking with 12.5 right now as it works....2010 can sit on the shelf until i have more time to pull my remaining hair out.

Asifalimirza
Level 2
I had the same problem where the patch would fail and roll back. The reason for this is either all the services are not stopped or not stopping, or you disabled them. Here are the steps you need to take:

1)Disable all Backup exec services including SQL (set startup to disabled) and reboot server
2)after rebooting, enable the services (set to Automatic Startup) but do not start them
3)Run the patch. It should now install successfully and start up the services when it is finished

It took me a little playing around to figure it out...but I am sure that is the problem you are running into. Once the patch is installed, Backupexec 2010 runs like a charm!

James_McKey
Level 5
Employee Certified

We have not seen the issue (internally) of having to disable the services. Can you DM me so that we can get a copy of your bkupinst.htm to see what might have been the mitigating issue?

Dz
Not applicable

I have this same issue with the services not starting.  I upgraded from 12.5 with all live update fixes to 2010.  The only thing I can think of that may have went wrong with the services is that I was using RDP into the box (with the DVD local not mapped) and updated it like that.  It may have cause local/domain Admin issues when upgrading services.

FULLOW UP:  The proceedure of disabling all services, restarting, setting all services to automatic and running the patch didn't work for me.  Starting the Job engine service failed because the credentials for both the Job engine and the BERS Romote agent were wrong.  They were correct before the upgrade.  Going into services.msc and manually changing the credentials for the services fixed them, so I'd double check all Backup Exec service credentials because changing the credentials in BackupExec did not fix the issue, had to do it in services.

Robert_Kuhn
Level 4

I was running into a similar problem.  The hotix you posted fixed my problem so I wanted to just say thanks.

Bobby_Watt
Level 2

I was having the same isse. 12.5 worked fine, then install 2010 and services got jammed up. I did as you recommended and it worked like a champ!! Disapble the services, reboot, enable but don't start. And then load the patch. Fixed my problem.

sfaryu
Level 2
I clicked on the link http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/339930.htm and the page is not there anymore.

TRB_IT_Team
Level 2

Same : the patch is unfindable...

Is anybody here able to give us the right place ?

Thanks in advance.

mkingsbury
Not applicable
For everyone looking for the patch this should give you what you need http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/348284.htm

J
ust tried the process on my system and it works like a charm just as Asifalimir

You are missing a few steps

I had the same problem where the patch would fail and roll back. The reason for this is either all the services are not stopped or not stopping, or you disabled them. Here are the steps you need to take:

1)Disable all Backup exec services including SQL (set startup to disabled) and reboot server
2)after rebooting, enable the services (set to Automatic Startup) but do not start them
3)Run the patch. It should now install successfully and start up the services when it is finished

SD8IT
Not applicable
Thank you!  Followed the steps exactly and worked like a charm.

Walter_Milliner
Not applicable
The patch (348284) is for version 2010.  Would someone know the link for the same patch for version 12.5?

Walter Milliner
tomm@dfwrealtors.com

joriki
Level 3
mkingsbury's suggestion to disable services, reboot, set to automatic and run the patch worked for me after many other attempts. Frankly, I did not expect this to actually work or be required since I think Symantec's software patch should take care of the process, but after dealing with the quirks of BE for a decade, I should probably know better - seems like it's always some esoteric thing that fixes BE issues. Thanks mkingsbury.