cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use the old job or create a new one

Rissan
Level 2

Next week we intend to replace one of our older servers with a new one.

After moving the data from the old - to the new server we will rename the server and place it under the same name als the old one, which of course is removed, into the network.

I wonder will Backup Exec 12 accept the name of the new server, being the old ones name, and run the backups which were done on the old one. Or do I have to create a new backup job?

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I am sure that the  directory structure of your new server would be different from the old one.  If I were you, I would re-create the jobs.

Rissan
Level 2

The directory structure will be the same compared to the old one.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

After replacing the old server with new one and changing the name, first make sure that you are able to communicate with the media server from client by using the name and ViceVersa.

If it happens, i don't think you will face problems with selection lists as you said Directory Structure will exactly same as the old server. So, you may use your old jobs.

Rissan
Level 2

thanks Kiran, will try it and let you know.

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The backups exec communicates using the remote agent on the clients and if you have decommissioned the old one and putting the new one with the same name then you have to install the remote agent on the new server and in the agent utility pointing to new media server. It will get published again to Backup Exec and should not be any problem if sturcutre is same. If structure is different just remove the data from selection details and add them again and should be take care off.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Rissan,

Any news here?

Can you please close the discussion by marking solution?

Regards.