cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using wmi to manage backup exec

red888
Level 3

I know BE installs some WMI classes, but I have found no documentation on if I can manage it using these classes. I saw something about setting up SNMP, but I'm not interested in that. My question is can I connect to a BE WMI object and access its properties and methods the same why I can windows WMI objects? I assume I cannot considering I've found zero info on this- I don't even know the names of these classes. I would be really nice if I could though so I could write a script to automate some  BE tasks or collect some info.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nick_Elmer
Level 6
Employee

Hi Red888,

The Backup Exec installer uses WMI primarily to perform push installs. To the best of my knowledge, we do not install any WMI classes. If we did, and they were available for external use, then we would typically document such items.

As was mentioned above, BEMCMD is the documented, and preferred way of automating Backup Exec. You can run BEMCMD /? from a command line in the install directory, and it will dump out a list of options. There are also example script templates in the "DVD\BE\WINNT\UTILS\<platform>\" directory. There are about 12 txt files in that directory, along with bemcmd.exe. The admin guide covers the tool and scripts in more detail as well.

Hope this helps,
Nick

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you want to automate some BE tasks and want to script it, why not look at becmd?

EDIT:  the link below is to a command list for becmd...

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126925

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

I am not sure about the WMI clasess I know that it needed when installing the remote agents , but I think you use BEMCMD thorug which you can configure scripts. BE comes with a commandline line applet called BEMCMD.  This program is located in the BE installation directory, along with it manual.

red888
Level 3

I was looking at BEMCMD and it appears to be more than capable of doing what I need. The only problem now is that its a little overwhelming. Are there any sample scripts I can reference that do something simple like get info for all the jobs that ran on a certain day?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Check if this works

bemcmd.exe -o402 -r12 -ps:"@Days Before=0,@Days After=5" -f"C:\Temp\BkupSched.xml" -ft:2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...best bet is to play around with it...that way you can get a feel of what it involves...

Nick_Elmer
Level 6
Employee

Hi Red888,

The Backup Exec installer uses WMI primarily to perform push installs. To the best of my knowledge, we do not install any WMI classes. If we did, and they were available for external use, then we would typically document such items.

As was mentioned above, BEMCMD is the documented, and preferred way of automating Backup Exec. You can run BEMCMD /? from a command line in the install directory, and it will dump out a list of options. There are also example script templates in the "DVD\BE\WINNT\UTILS\<platform>\" directory. There are about 12 txt files in that directory, along with bemcmd.exe. The admin guide covers the tool and scripts in more detail as well.

Hope this helps,
Nick