cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-79-57344-33928 - Access Denied. Cannot backup directory

BBaker
Level 3

I'm getting a rather odd error when backing up MS Exchange 2007 SP1 using Backup Exec 12 SP3:

Backup- \\mailserver\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group
V-79-57344-33928 - Access Denied. Cannot backup directory Mailbox Database and its subdirectories.

Backup- \\mailserver\Microsoft Information Store\Second Storage Group
V-79-57344-33928 - Access Denied. Cannot backup directory Public Folder Database4DE and its subdirectories.

It completes only about 1/4th of the backup before this error occurs. I have no problems backing up files on this server that are not MS Exchange databases (I have another backup job that handles those that runs before the Mail database backup job).

Has anyone seen this error and what have you done to correct it?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited

In addition:

Another option would be running SGmon.exe from Backup Exec directory while the backup runs.

but again:

check the permissions of your account like stated above and make sure it is domain admin.

From many support cases I know, that approx. 90% of all "access denied" errors in Exchange backups are related to some requirements for the backup account not met.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

Give the TN below a read and see if it helps you at all!

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH52420

Thanks!

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Please make sure that your account, you run the backups with (in most cases the account your BE-Services run eith) meets the following requirements:

1. Is in Exchange Organizational Admin Security Group in AD

2. has got an active mailbox

3. It's mailbox is not hidden from the global address list

best regards

BBaker
Level 3

Is there any way to tell which mailbox BE is failing on without trying to backup each individual mailbox (very time consuming). That would help narrow down the problem.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

I'd suggest looking at turning up the logging level. You've probably got it on Summary, as this is the default. You can change the setting under: Tools --> Options --> Job Logs.

Just bear in mind that when you do so, the size of your job log increases as well...

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited

In addition:

Another option would be running SGmon.exe from Backup Exec directory while the backup runs.

but again:

check the permissions of your account like stated above and make sure it is domain admin.

From many support cases I know, that approx. 90% of all "access denied" errors in Exchange backups are related to some requirements for the backup account not met.

BBaker
Level 3

Thanks for the suggestions. I've already made sure the service account is part of the domain admins account. I try increasing the logging detail If that doesn't tell me where it is failing, I'll run SGMON.

Thanks!