cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-79-57344-34110 - Note: Resource: "Microsoft Information Store" is not snappable.

acorr
Level 2

Hello,

I'm receiving the following message in my backup logs, relating to Exchange Server

V-79-57344-34110 - Note: Resource: "Microsoft Information Store" is not snappable. Attempting to back up directly from the source volume.
Network control connection is established between 127.0.0.1:20552 <--> 127.0.0.1:10000
Network data connection is established between    127.0.0.1:22640 <--> 127.0.0.1:22639

Back up completes, but I would like to a) understand what this message means and b) remove it if possible.

We're running Backup Exec 12.5 on SBS 2003.  Exchange is installed on the same box as the Backup Exec & the tape drive.  No Agents are installed.  It been configured to us Advanced Open File Option, using the defaults (Auto select open file technology).  Exchange Option are Copy - Database & Logs, using GRT & the consistency check using VSS.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Neil_Thatcher
Level 2

As promised I am reporting the result of the backup after enabling the Exchange writer for VSS as detailed in Microsoft article 838183.

The backup after enabling the Exchange writer ran without throwing any errors. The job log is completely clean with the completed status marked as successful.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Neil_Thatcher
Level 2

I also have BEWS 12.5 running on SBS2003 backing-up to tape and I am getting the same error.

This has only occurred the last 2 days since configuring AOFO with options set to use Microsoft VSS and the MS provider and to process logical volumes one at a time.

Activating AOFO was done after installing Backup Exec System Recovery with it being used to backup snapshots to a NAS box. After installing BESR the BEWS tape backup failed with errors against VSS and I was advised that I needed to enable AOFO to force use of the Microsoft service and provider and writer. This did the job as far as clearing the errors against VSS but since this change I am getting the "V-79-57344-34110 - Note: Resource: "Microsoft Information Store" is not snappable. Attempting to back up directly from the source volume." error.

A general internet search led me to Microsoft article 838183 which details how to turn on the Exchange writer for VSS which looks like it might help. There are warnings that doing this will result in it not being possible to backup the Exchange information store and the system state at the same time but I figure it's worth a try.

I will post again with the result of the next backup.

If anyone knows that enabling the Exchange writer is not the right thing to do please let me know.

Ruchi
Level 5
Employee Certified

Hi

Have you Tried to check the writer status on the exchnage server

you can go to the command prompt and run the command Vssadmin list writers

Check if the microsoft Exchange writer is showing up and verify that the stae is stable

Also verify Under Tools>>install licenses   that the exchange license is installed

Neil_Thatcher
Level 2

As promised I am reporting the result of the backup after enabling the Exchange writer for VSS as detailed in Microsoft article 838183.

The backup after enabling the Exchange writer ran without throwing any errors. The job log is completely clean with the completed status marked as successful.

acorr
Level 2

Ditto Neil.  I also applied the changes suggested in 838183 and the backup succeeded with this error.

In brief VSS is by default turned off for Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 in SBS 2003, due to a conflict between backing up the System State and Exchange Server Information Store when using NTBackup.  Obviously not a problem for Backup Exec.

ZEUS
Level 2
Partner
Thank you very much guys!