cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-79-57344-3844 error - can Symantec help?

Joseph_Engel
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Second post for same request. Error is:

Backup- JRESBSMAINV-79-57344-3844 - The media server was unable to connect to the Remote Agent on machine JRESBSMAIN.
The media server will use the local agent to try to complete the operation.
Remote Agent not detected on \\JRESBSMAIn.

This is BUE 11d with all liveupdate patches to date,
Running on an SBS 2003 R2 standard server. We have licensed and installed SharePoint, SQL, Exchange and AOFO options.

JRESBSMAIN is the main server and the media server. The backup device is a single tape drive directly connected to the media/main server. There is no remote server. We have uninstalled and reinstalled and recreated all selections from scratch. No selections refer to any remote server.

FWIW, BUE will not allow install of a remote agent on the media server but we can't see why we would need it anyway,

Why does this fail looking for a remote agent?

Thanks for responses,

Joe
5 REPLIES 5

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
This problem usually occurs when you upgrade from 10 to 11 and keep your jobs/policies/selection lists. Try creating a new selection list and point your job to that. If that fails remove all jobs, policies and selection lists and recreate them.

Joseph_Engel
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Hi Phil:

Thanks for your help. I mentioned in my original post: " We have uninstalled and reinstalled and recreated all selections from scratch. No selections refer to any remote server."

But we will try it again just to be sure.

Thanks

Joe

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
A remote agent installs on the media server, it has on mine anyway.

Randy_Blasik
Level 4
Joe,

This has happened to me on ocasion on a fresh install of 11d (no upgrade). There's gotta be a bug somewhere in the Remote Agent, the remote agent on the media server randomly crashes. Check the event log on the media server you'll probably see crashes, also in windows services you can manually "restart" the service or reboot the entire server to clear the error.

This is a bandaide fix and doesn't resolve the problem but at least you won't get failed backups tommorow...

- Randy

Joseph_Engel
Level 3
Partner Accredited
To all reading this thread.

We deleted and then recreated fom scratch, the selection list. Last night we did not get the error. Hooray!

I don't know why as we had deleted (and recreated) the selection list before. And we had uninstalled and reinstalled the complete BUE application.

Perhaps the live-update install of the hotpatch 11 combined with the deletion and recreation of the selection list was the trick. If this holds, I guess we will never reallly know.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Joe