Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VCB incremental backups running as full

Sinner_xyz
Level 5
Certified

Hello,

Using Be 2012 and Vsphere 4, my AVVI incremental and full backup have same size.

I made sure full + all incrementals all go to same disk folder and no help.

5 REPLIES 5

Sinner_xyz
Level 5
Certified

VM's with issue are still running hardware version 4, so I need to upgrade them to hardware version 7 first.

SpawnXX
Level 3

Yes you need VM version 7 and the account configured to connect on the vCenter server must have proper permission. ( VMware Consolidated Backup User group isnt enough ) , You need to have the "Block Tracking permission " . In my case I put the account administrator on Vcenter Cluster . Also,  the account must be administrator of the server running the vCenter Server ( weird I know, but it's needed ).  Rester all BE Services.

When configuring the job , go in the vitual machines section and uncheck "Use the full backup method for virtual machines that do not support incr/diff backup".

Then run a full Backup and try to run an incremental backup after the full job is completed to test.

Sinner_xyz
Level 5
Certified

Thanks,

I have understood the need to add Be account to admin group and upgrade to hardware version 7

However is there a specific reason to this:

"uncheck "Use the full backup method for virtual machines that do not support incr/diff backup".

I mean it would be better for me to leave it checked..Atleast I would get full backup for them.

SpawnXX
Level 3

If you let it checked, you wont be able to see which VM's are problematic with incr backup because BE will default back to a full backup.

Sinner_xyz
Level 5
Certified

Okeee.. Thanks.