cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verify fails with media mount failed error during multiple tape backup

Dave1
Level 2
Hello,

We're running Backup Exec for Windows Servers ver. 12.0 Rev. 1364 on Windows on Windows Advanced Server 2003. The tape drive is a Dell Powervault TL4000 using LTO tapes. The backup job is reading from a NAS device without the remote agent running on the NAS server.

The job is successful running on a single tape. However, when any of our jobs spans over more than one tape, the verify step fails. According to the job log, all the files are backed up. We get this message during the verify step:

Media mount failed.
Physical Volume Library Drive or Robot paused, offline, or disabled.

The correct tape and library name is noted in the job log.

Any ideas???

Dave
4 REPLIES 4

fstrube
Level 2
I am having the same issue in Backup Exec 11d rev. 6235 and a Dell Powervault 124T.  When spanning multiple tapes, the verify process chokes with the following error:

Verify
Media mount failed.
Physical Volume Library Drive or Robot paused, offline, or disabled.

And, the job completion status reads:

Job ended: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 at 12:24:33 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0008445 - The media operation was terminated by the user.
Final error category: Job Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33861

Dave1
Level 2
Frank,

I finally got the issue resolved. I had to open a case with Symantec because of some other issues with a service pack install. We downloaded and installed the latest tape drivers for BE and also changed the Media Changer driver from the Dell/IBM library driver to an Unknown driver. That resolved the issue.

The Symantec tech guided me to the location of the drivers and I didn't take copious notes. So, I can't tell you from what URL I downloaded the drivers. Sorry.

I hope this helps and you don't have to wait almost 2 years to get your issue resolved.

Dave

fstrube
Level 2

Thanks for responding Dave!  I have been working on this for the better part of today and have so far updated the firmware on the device, and also downloaded the latest Symantec Drivers using the instructions from Symantec's support website (http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/255501.htm)

"Ensure that the latest drivers and firmware have been installed for the tape drive, robotic library, and for the SCSI controller. Symantec drivers should be loaded for the tape drive for best performance. Symantec does not test performance or compatibility with Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) drivers, unless noted on the Hardware Compatibility List. Backup Exec tape drivers can be downloaded from the Symantec Support Web site at:    http://www.symantec.com/business/support/downloads.jsp?pid=15047"

That alone didn't resolve the issue, but I will attempt changing to the Unknown Media Changer driver tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

fstrube
Level 2

At some point after playing around with drivers, Backup Exec stopped recognizing the Dell auto-loader as a Robotic Library under devices.  Before attempting to load the Unknown Media Changer drivers, I followed step VIII from this Symantec documentation (http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/255501.htm).

"From the devices tab in Backup Exec, right-click the device and select Enable. This should remove the check mark next to the device and disable it. After disabling the device, right-click the device again, this time choosing delete.

NOTE:  
During the delete process you may be prompted to re-target your backup jobs to other devices or device pools. Please be mindful of the jobs to be re-targeted and remember to change the jobs back after resolving the hardware issue. 

After deleting the device(s), stop the Backup Exec services. With the services stopped, run Tapeinst.exe fromx:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\..."

After restarting the Backup Exec services, it recognized the Robotic Library and things looked OK.  Next, I properly labeled my tapes with bar-codes (until this point they weren't bar-coded).  I used this tool http://tapelabels.librelogiciel.com/ to generate the bar-codes and then printed on generic label stock and cut them out by hand.  I tested using a restore job that I knew spanned multiple tapes, and the job was successful!!  Before, it would fail while it tried to load the second tape, with a "device paused" status and an error message

Physical Volume Library Drive or Robot paused, offline, or disabled

Now the second tape loads fine and there is no error message at all.  My full backups are scheduled to run this weekend, so I will know for sure if it was fixed by then.