cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup exec not doing incremental backup by date

Dennis_S_
Level 4
I followed this and it didn't change anything.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/258604.htm

It still copies the entire network share onto the backup server instead of only changed files.  I have it set to Differential - Back up changed files since last full Using modified time
6 REPLIES 6

David_Perrin
Level 5
What about using incremental based on archive flag but don't set the archive flag?  that's what I do and it works.

Dennis_S_
Level 4
I'll try that, not sure if it'll set those bits over a NAS but willing to try anything at this point.  My current backup program bases off file changes and works fine.  Kinda strange that I run into so many issues with an enterprise software.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Any particular reason that you are using Modified time rather than Archive Bit?  if the OS supports it, it IMHO is more reliable than Modified Time

If you have done a FULL using the same selection list as the INCR/DIFF using modified time, that should have solved your problem.   If for whatever reason you cannot use Archive Bit, you probably need to open a ticket with Symantec  :(

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
I suspect your problem is that you are backing up over a share.

Archive bits are not generally used with share level backups, however you may not be aware that modified time backups use Journalling methods that require processes within a remote agent  - as such if you are doing a share level Backup and no remote agent is involved then you can't use Modified Time either.

If the device holding your data is running a supported verson of Windows or Linux then use the correct remote agent. If the device supports the NDMP Option then use that (which has somethign similar to an incremental backup) If it is any other device then I don't think Incrememental or Differential Backups are possible.

Dennis_S_
Level 4
Archive bit resolved the problem.

Now, after reconfiguring a couple times, it says it can't find media to backup to.  Sheesh this software is such a pain, one hoop after another.  I hope it is even worth using after I get this problem fixed again.  What I'm already using works fine but this has more features that should work well for storing more changes to files.  I think Symantec went a little overboard making this confusing to operate.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

it says it can't find media to backup to

What specific error are you getting?
Backing up to disk or tape?
What is the OPP (Overwrite Protection Period)  of the media set that you are backing up to?

(This really should be a new thread, as you have resolved your original problem)