cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas catalog database or database element is corrupt

mullendg
Level 2

Hi,  I am getting the following error.  Can anyone tell me why and how to get around it please?      Warning:  "D:\a[[s\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Catalogs\{CFE0F13B-D39B-4ECD-979B-4A74FD925A60].u01" is a corrupt file.  This file cannot verify. Database or database element is corrupt

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What version of BE are you using?

mullendg
Level 2

Unfortunately this is an old server running 9.1

teiva-boy
Level 6

You can try and delete that one file, or restore from an older backup.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Deleting that file would mean losing the catalog for that media.  If you do so, then somehow you got to identify that media and re-catalog it.

mullendg
Level 2

I would prefer not having to delete it, but this is the second time I have got this error and am wondering why it is suddenly happening...

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Do you really have a folder name of a[[s as if you don't that might be the cause of the error

mullendg
Level 2

Sorry, type, the real filename is "D:\apps\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Catalogs\{CFE0F13B-D39B-4ECD-979B-4A74FD925A60}.u01

teiva-boy
Level 6

Yes, I'm well aware of that.  But you only need to re-catalog if you need to do a restore.  And that is a pretty trivial process.  if it's corrupt, there is nothing you can do but restore from a known good copy, or delete it and hope that when you do need to restore, you have at least the right tape in mind with the correct date, to know that is the one that needs to be imported and catalogged since it's the catalog entry that was deleted.

I wonder if you can open the that file, and see any type of legible information, to glean the backup dates or selections from it, heck maybe even a tape barcode?