cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WMI Writer fails during freeze operation

Ryan_OFlaherty
Level 3

I have Backup Exec 12.5 installed on a Windows 2008 SP2 32-bit server. I have the following error happening on all of my backups: 

backupexecerror.PNG

The only writer that has an error is the WMI writer: 

Writer name: 'WMI Writer'
   Writer Id: {a6ad56c2-b509-4e6c-bb19-49d8f43532f0}
   Writer Instance Id: {1ae70cd1-b332-49b3-b95c-bb3b97e4c659}
   State: [9] Failed
   Last error: Retryable error

I set the service for volume shadow copy to automatic and to restart the service after 1 minute on failure. The backup gets about halfway done before it fails. I'm stuck at this point in time. Any help would be great, Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ryan_OFlaherty
Level 3

I tried  registering the dlls but that didn't help. I ran 

Winmgmt /salvagerepository

then 

Winmgmt /resetrepository

and the backup started working properly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Please revet back the settings for VSS to default, 'Manual'. Try to re-run the backup with AOFO unselected. Also, have you tried rebooting the server.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Most commonly, this error can be resolved by stopping the WMI service, re-registering a WMI dll and/or recreating the WMI repository and then restarting the WMI service. (However, you may attempt these steps only on Windows 2003 servers and regarding Windows 2008, would recommend to contact MS to confirm the same)

lmosla
Level 6

Hello,

on windows 2008 servers writer errors are often cleared with a reboot.  Reboot the server and then retry the backup job.  If the error still occurs check Windows Events for errors that occur when the backup is run.

Ryan_OFlaherty
Level 3

@Jaydeep - I set VSS to Manual in the services and unchecked AOFO on the backup. I rebooted the server. No luck.

@ VJware - I stopped the WMI service, renamed the repository to repository.old, started the wmi service, and tried to backup but it failed.I am going to try re-registering the .dll files and I will see how that goes.

Ryan_OFlaherty
Level 3

The backup also gets about halfway everytime and then fails.

Ryan_OFlaherty
Level 3

I tried  registering the dlls but that didn't help. I ran 

Winmgmt /salvagerepository

then 

Winmgmt /resetrepository

and the backup started working properly.