cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We're getting better results with Winzip! 5x faster, 3x more efficient

Ross_Smith
Level 4
We've spent thousands of pounds and months of time configuring BackupExec yet it seems that our old backup system of Winzip and batch files may be the superior setup.

Using Winzip, 54Gb of data can be backed up in 2hrs 40mins and occupies 9Gb on our NAS device.

Using BackupExec, that same data set takes 13 hours to back up, and occupies around 30Gb on the NAS device.

So our old Winzip system gives us a 5x gain in performance, and a 3x gain in storage on the NAS box... and I bought BackupExec as an 'upgrade'.

Frankly I'm appalled to discover this. BackupExec is one of the market leaders in backup technology, Winzip is not in any way shape or form designed as a backup solution. To find out Winzip is this much faster than BackupExec is a huge shock, especially when one of the selling points of BackupExec is the compression ability of the remote agent.

I'm now at the stage that I'm wondering whether I should scrap the idea of using BackupExec and concentrate on updating our Winzip batch files instead. We require a daily full backup of this data set and there simply is not enough time for me to achieve this reliably with BackupExec.

I'm 99% certain that these performance figures can be accounted for by the remote agent achieving negligable compression and transmitting the files at full size. The slight compression we do see I believe is occuring on the server itself prior to storage of the data on the NAS box.

My guess at compression figures:
Winzip - 6:1
BackupExec Remote Agent - between 1:1 and 1.2:1
BackupExec Server - 2:1

Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether it's possible to improve on BackupExec's compression?

I'm guessing the remote agent compresses small chunks at once before transmitting over the network. Adjusting this so that it looks at a larger sample of the data may be all that is needed, but I've no idea whether this is possible.

Ross
22 REPLIES 22

Chaitanya_Khurj
Level 6
Hello Ross,

To resolve slow throughput issue take a lot at the following technotes.

1. Reasons why the data throughput rate can be slower than the theoretical maximum when backing up to tape media

http://support.veritas.com/docs/231488

2.How to correct slow backup performance, slow virus or pre-job scans, and agent initialization problems on fragmented Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows 2003 server partitions

http://support.veritas.com/docs/237444

3. Remote backups performed using agents (Agent for SQL, Agent for Exchange, Remote Agent, etc.) are unresponsive or extremely slow on particular machines.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/190828

4.What Backup Exec settings can be modified to reduce the amount of time it takes for a backup to run?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/249090

Please also ensure that you are not experiencing hardware related issues and that you have installed the latest device drivers, the SCSI card firmware is uptodate.

Please disable Removable Storage Service even if its Startup Type is MANUAL.

Hope this helps you further.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ross_Smith
Level 4
Oh, for crying out loud!!! Read the f%£"ng thread!!!

These articles have already been suggested, they are not even vaguely relevant in this case:

Article 1: Relates to Tape Media - this is a NAS backup!
Article 2: Fragmentation issue - I get widely different results to the same target, it's not fragmentation.
Article 3: Remote Agents unresponsive - I've already stated BackupExec can run fine against this target.
Article 4: General settings which I've already read and stated in this thread.

I've already done testing on the backup speeds, and reported the results here. I can get a 12x difference in speed for backups from the same source device, targetted at the same NAS box. My testing has shown this is caused by the large number of files in the backups and I have already reported that here.

I have also stated that I am not impressed that a premiere backup solution suffers such a performance hit when backing up large volumes of files. Especially when a simple program like Winzip can outperform your product.

I don't expect a solution through these forums, this is a problem that is most likely fundamental to the BackupExec engine and will need serious work to put right. I'm pointing it out here so that other people have a useful reference when they come across it, and because I have very little faith in Veritas' Enhancement Request program.

Ross

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

We apologize for the earlier reply. The Job engine crashing bug has been resolved with the latest build 5520.

You may test the same and revert with the results.

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 10.0 rev. 5520 for Windows Servers Installation Files
http://support.veritas.com/docs/277181

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.